• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pthatcher
    • Aug 2020

Atomic 4 Mech in Miami?

Looking for someone that has a lot of experience with the Atomic 4

My Atomic is running ( just powered a 30ft Helms from Daytona)

Just need to fine tune a few things in the engine.

Thanks
    Paul
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Hi Paul...and welcome!!
    Lots of mechanics won't work on them, or want lots of $$ to switch you to diesel if they know of them.

I knew ZERO about this motor when I got my boat in 2008, but I fully trust it now.

Give us some more details on what you are looking for and how it is running and we can turn you into an expert owner yourself. They are not that hard to manage.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• Ando
      • Jul 2019

+1 to the above.

Comment

• pthatcher
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
        Hi Paul...and welcome!!
        Lots of mechanics won't work on them, or want lots of $$ to switch you to diesel if they know of them.

I knew ZERO about this motor when I got my boat in 2008, but I fully trust it now.

Give us some more details on what you are looking for and how it is running and we can turn you into an expert owner yourself. They are not that hard to manage.
        Thank you & sorry for the late reply. We motor sailed (mostly motored), a new to me Helms 30, with an Atomic 4. I just wanted to have someone that really knows these engines to take a look, as I have no experience with them & very little mechanically.

We got it down from Daytona to Miami, but we had low oil pressure, it wouldn't idle well, when we stopped for bridge openings & would run rough for anything from 5 to 15 minutes, finally getting back in it grove & sounding good again. My understanding is, it could be the mixture of gas/oxygen & or points & timing.

Just was hoping to get it all finally dialed in as it should be.

Thanks for your reply

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

This engine behavior could be the result of a sticky valve.
          Look for something called Marvel Mystery Oil at your local auto parts store. Add 8-10 ounces of MMO per 10 gallons of gasoline to the fuel. This double the usual maintenance dose of MMO. The MMO will act as a lubricant and free up the (possible) sticky valve. This rich formula will tend to foul the plugs a bit.
          A big welcome to the forum.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• pthatcher
            • Aug 2020

Thank you, I will give it a try.

Comment

• pthatcher
              • Aug 2020

Any thoughts on this oil? I'm in Miami, for an idea of typical operating temperature.

Rotella T1 30 CF/CF-2

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

The Rotela 30 wt is good oil.

The operating temp depends on the cooling set up AND depends as to whether or not a thermostat is in use. Also raw water cooled or fresh water (heat exchanger ) cooled will determine how hot you can run.

I ran at 130* with no t'stat for 34 years and some run at 180* plus with fresh water cooling. Both are just fine. If you can describe the "system", temp parameters can be determined.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by pthatcher View Post
                  Any thoughts on this oil? I'm in Miami, for an idea of typical operating temperature.

Rotella T1 30 CF/CF-2
                  I have had very good results with Rotella 15w40.
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                  X