Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#26   IP: 184.145.76.14
Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 PM

This is my experience and feeling re Seafoam also. I have used it in various engines and they have all run better after use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
I swear by Seafoam, it has different use than mmo as far as a lubricant or rust preventative. I put in everything that runs or sits around idle ,lawn mowers, Onan generators,all my cars and trucks. This is the only product I have ever poured into a fuel tank or straight into the carb. and could immediately tell a difference in performance and fuel mileage. I buy it by the case. It isn't cheap but it is worth every penny.
  #27   IP: 75.253.64.171
Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 AM

As a note, I would more research before adding Sea Foam to an A4 crankcase. Because, I would be concerned about the effect on the clutch friction plates in the transmission. It may have an adverse effect on the surfaces .
  #28   IP: 67.78.241.34
Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Seafoam does not "foam". It's just a name. I use it to keep fuel systems clean, and for unsticking things, but it's not a lubricant like MMO.

If I needed unsticking properties in a lubricant, I'd use MMO. If I needed unsticking and cleaning properties, I'd use Seafoam.
I agree with these observations. Just to complete the picture, I see STP as a thickener, coater, and protector type of product.
  #29   IP: 174.94.46.99
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanleyclifford View Post
I agree with these observations. Just to complete the picture, I see STP as a thickener, coater, and protector type of product.
STP is a viscosity boost. That' all it is. It will turn a any oild grade (like 10W30) into a much higher viscosity depending on how much you add to a given quantity of oil.

The general information I see from those who test oil is that it only has a benefit in really old engines that burn oil and should actually be rebuilt.
  #30   IP: 71.253.244.113
Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Afourian MVP

STP may still, but used to have some additives that helped against wear, scuffing, etc. that was a bonus to add to some oils.
And I think it used to have zinc in it too,
For a while I used it as a assembly lube.
  #31   IP: 174.94.46.99
Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 PM

I used to use it in my 1962 Pontiac. Back then it was a good product, like Fram oil filters, I used them also. Since then though, like many of these companies, they have changed hands and STP is now facing some controversy as to its effectiveness. Like Fram, now owned by Allied Signal is one of the poorest oil filters made according to the recent tests.

There are many of these popping up using what were once good names and now selling questionable products under those names. Singer, who once made good sewing machines is now appearing on late night TV selling hand machines of limited value. Dewalt, one of the best shop tools around went bust and the name picked up by Black and Decker. The new Dewalt tool line is just B&D's Pro line which no one would buy but now Dewalt is flying off the shelves at greatly inflated prices thanks to marketing and consumer unawareness. Bell and Howell is another one. The list goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Racing View Post
STP may still, but used to have some additives that helped against wear, scuffing, etc. that was a bonus to add to some oils.
And I think it used to have zinc in it too,
For a while I used it as a assembly lube.
  #32   IP: 207.210.62.111
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM

I agree with Old-Sailer on company changing hands, but I still like my DeWalt tools because they stand behind their product.

Having said that, speaking of companies changing hands, what about MMO being bought out by Turtle Wax?

Cheers Rick
  #33   IP: 174.94.46.99
Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM

So all their products will have a better polish on them now..

And so did B&D for half the price..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromo View Post
I agree with Old-Sailer on company changing hands, but I still like my DeWalt tools because they stand behind their product.

Having said that, speaking of companies changing hands, what about MMO being bought out by Turtle Wax?

Cheers Rick

Last edited by old-sailer; 02-27-2012 at 04:50 PM.
  #34   IP: 24.62.134.232
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Sticking valves and MMO

Today I tried starting my Atomic 4 and it started once but ran terribly. I had it running fine a week ago. I checked the compression with my thumb- no compression in #1 &4 cylinders, I remembered Don's advice about loosening sticking valves,tried using an allen wrench but then I tapped my engine( carefully) with a hammer on both ends of the block, got compression right away on #1, #4 took a little more tapping, started the engine and its running fine. I've added MMO as suggested hoping that will help with the sticking valves. I don't know if it was intake or exhaust valves sticking, I know exhaust valves are harder to work on. I'm hoping this will help without having to pull the head etc. I definitely need a new thermostat, my engines running cold, PO said thats fine -better than overheating but I know cold running engines can cause sticky valves. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks
  #35   IP: 74.101.158.133
Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Afourian MVP

Sootydan, I agree with your previous owner - cooler is much better than hotter. I run my A4 without a thermostat, and an ounce of MMO in every 10 gallons of gas, and have had essentially zero issues with sticky valves in 18 years. I put a little extra in with the stabilizer in the fall for good measure over the winter.
  #36   IP: 96.229.18.9
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Exclamation Hot & cold & oil.

Sootydan, I agree that running warmer is better for wear and power but will have nothing to do with sticking valves. As the engine warms the clearance in the valves is reduced!!! If your valves are getting oil there not going to stick, unless there is moisture and a bit of rusting from lack of oil.

That is why I recommend a top oil when experiencing stick valves. Either MMO, or a good 2-stroke oil in the fuel for a bit mixed at around a 100:1. The oil in the fuel lubes constantly and the valve stems will get a coating when the engine is shut off or on. Usually running a tank or two will clean off the rust and the valve can again be run "dry" with "splash" oiling handling the lubrication!

Dave Neptune
  #37   IP: 24.62.134.232
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM

MMO /sticking valves

Thanks for the input Dave and tenders, I am using MMO to help, and yes, of course cooler is better than hotter, at least better than too hot I read a note from Don Moyers that if your engine isn't running at correct temp you can get sticking valves because of moisture and deposits if i remember correctly. Yes, heat makes things expand, I agree, and I don't want the engine running excessively hot of course. Guess I'll run it as is and see if i run into the sticking problem again. going out today to give it a good run Thanks
  #38   IP: 35.14.170.170
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
As the engine warms the clearance in the valves is reduced
Actually, clearances will remain the same when engine parts are heated UNLESS the parts are made of different materials. In this case, the valve stem will expand but so does the block--that means the hole gets bigger too. In general, the hole expands at exactly the same rate as the material that was removed to make it.

If the parts are made of different materials they expand at different rates, so all bets are off. Think of the brass plug that contains the temp sensor. The brass expands faster than iron block.
  #39   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Lightbulb Noit really

The expansion rates are somewhat similar between C/I and steel however the temps of the valves are drastically different. The exhaust is much hotter than the cooled block and the intake is much cooler when operating.

Dave Neptune
  #40   IP: 99.192.72.153
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 PM

MMO in Canada

Quote:
mike Jenkins;6315]Hi Folks,

I just found out that my local Canadian Tire Store no longer carries Marvel Mystery Oil. Does any one know of a suitable alternative product that can be used for a similar aplication. Or, can anyone suggest an eastern Canadian supplier of Marvel Mystery Oil.

Regards, Mike
I was surprised to find MMO at a Wal-Mart here is Halifax.
Catalina 27 #4459
Halifax, NS Canada
  #41   IP: 71.107.190.78
Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Mmo

Thanks Don. I have always been a big fan of MMO but did not know how to use it in an A4.
  #42   IP: 67.58.212.79
Old 05-14-2019, 07:52 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
MMO is easily available in the US at almost any auto parts store. I have heard that it can be difficult to obtain in Canada. As to its comparison with the sea foam product I don't have any experience with it.

dvd

Marvel Mystery oil is available in all Princess Auto Supply stores across Canada!!