X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

ingenuity is the mother of invention...did I get that right? Use what's on board!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

My wife says that I am the king of repurposing items from their original intent. Clearly I have been bested in this case. You must have some time on your hands, good work.
      Wait 'til you see the hardtop dodger I'm making from an old fiberglass truck topper. True!

See any green flashes?

Russ
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• jpian0923
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Hanley, if you ever sell the "Destiny", I'm pretty sure only an afourian would know what all your gadgets were for.

I hope you are writing an owners manual for her.
        "Jim"
        S/V "Ahoi"
        1967 Islander 29
        Harbor Island, San Diego
        2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• Kelly
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2004

Hanley-

I'd like you to take that setup to some "big box" type store and ask the clerk if he could please find a replacement for it...just to see the look on his face!
          Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
            Hanley, if you ever sell the "Destiny", I'm pretty sure only an afourian would know what all your gadgets were for.

I hope you are writing an owners manual for her.
            Actually, this is becoming an issue for me as old age looms on the horizon. More and more often I find myself asking, "...how'd I do dat?..."

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Shawn?

Shawn, I'm perplexed as to how a chunk like that could get through. Can you describe the particle at all?

Hanley, you need a hobby! Have you been running yet with the finer filters? That's a lot of plumbing and it sort of violates the "KISS" rule. Perhaps it is Destiny's destiny to be a "RSR" lab. I most certainly hope this works well for you. Careful with the cobble, I don't want to see/hear that you find bits of teflon in the carb .

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

slight hijack!

Dave, that bit I am pretty sure was a piece of teflon tape..it actually felt more like a booger.

If I recall, at the time, I only had the Racor filter mounted on the bulkhead & had not installed the MMI in-line filter yet. Even if I had it installed, there were lots of opportunities for teflon to break loose at any of the screwed in barbed fittings downstream, including the last couple where the hose goes between the mech filter to the carb.

That is my theory anyway.

As you've noted before, we usually don't find the culprit as it gets washed out with the carb cleaner..according to my thread from 2009 this just happened to fall out of the bottom of the fuel bowl when I back flushed the main jet.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  • Jan 2007

Teflon & fuel

Shawn, you would be suprised! I have done a lot of carb work over the years, mostly modifying for performance apps. The most common thing I found in carbs that were a problem were bits of teflon tape and it came from anywhere in the fuel system and could get anywhere in the carb.

That is why I recomend Permatex #2 or second choice liquid teflon on any fuel fitting!!!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                    Shawn, I'm perplexed as to how a chunk like that could get through. Can you describe the particle at all?

Hanley, you need a hobby! Have you been running yet with the finer filters? That's a lot of plumbing and it sort of violates the "KISS" rule. Perhaps it is Destiny's destiny to be a "RSR" lab. I most certainly hope this works well for you. Careful with the cobble, I don't want to see/hear that you find bits of teflon in the carb .

Dave Neptune
                    Dave - The Atomic 4 is my hobby. I have run with the finer filters at the dock but full field testing remains. I became a violater of the "KISS" so long ago I couldn't find the way back if I tried. As for the teflon; I'm hoping it couldn't get thru a 7-10 micron filter, but we shall see...

Comment

• lat 64
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                      Hanley-

I'd like you to take that setup to some "big box" type store and ask the clerk if he could please find a replacement for it...just to see the look on his face!
                      I go to Home Depot looking for some odd bits and get cornered by the help. They say " what's it for?".
                      I say "a boat thingy I'm making".
                      They say "what thingy".
                      I say " I won't know 'til I find the right materials"

That's when they walk off as soon as I look away.

Just gimme some stuff, and I'll make some thingys, OK?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

I find a lot more useful boatthingy stuff here - http://www.mcmaster.com

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          • Jan 2007

Topper (side bar)

Hey Russ, I'm interested in your hard cover. I've been contimplating one for a while and my dodger is about shot. What are the truck topper options, is there a site or are you searching in scrap yards? I have some wood cut to form up a "one off", however cutting and tweaking an existing form may be quicker . I'm planning on tinted flat panel auto safety glass and the "center" front panel will open.

Perhaps this should go to a new thread, as a few may be interested.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• lat 64
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2008

Dave, I just got some photos of the topper in my friends garage. i'll start a new thread this evening

Comment

• edwardc
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2009

I believe there's an article in a recent issue of "Good Old Boat" on building a hard dodger.
                              @(^.^)@ Ed
                              1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Mar 2010

Fuel System Plumbing

Installed a fuel pressure gauge and ran the system. Pump pressure is 4 psi but I opened the "re-circulator" and reduced it to 2 psi. Engine ran fine at the dock up to 1500 rpm. Does anyone have information as to what is minimum acceptable pressure?

Comment

Working...
                                X