• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magi
    Frequent Contributor
    • Dec 2021

Proper Fuel Filter for an Atomic 4

Looking for a proper gas fuel filter for my A4. I see many filters that are for diesel and believe its a very common mistake to think you can use these with gas. Most are for outboards and not for down below in an enclosed space. USCG also does not like non-flame retardant bowls for inside use. Have to agree with them there. Any thoughts on finding a set up with a metal or glass bowl ?

Thanks All.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Moyer Marine has exactly what you're looking for:
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• jcwright
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2012

Hello magi.

Here is the filter/separator offered in the MMI catalog, which has a metal bowl:

Jack.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

magi..welcome, and right on the above posts. You want the Racor 320R with the metal bowl linked above. I will comment from personal experience that it is important to lubricate the rubber gaskets for ease in later servicing.
        Last edited by sastanley; 12-30-2021, 12:24 AM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Let me add that you should check your filters with a magnet. If a magnet sticks, they're going to rust. And the rust particles are going to go downstream toward your carb. I spent a Summer tracking down carb issues. Turned out to be due to my secondary filter (the one of last recourse) rusting and sending rusticles to the carb.

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
            Let me add that you should check your filters with a magnet. If a magnet sticks, they're going to rust. And the rust particles are going to go downstream toward your carb. I spent a Summer tracking down carb issues. Turned out to be due to my secondary filter (the one of last recourse) rusting and sending rusticles to the carb.
            Thanks for the reminder - my secondary filter is rusting on the outside, so maybe it is inside as well.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
              Let me add that you should check your filters with a magnet. If a magnet sticks, they're going to rust. And the rust particles are going to go downstream toward your carb.
              Wouldn't this this apply to the primary filter as well (see Racor, Sierra, Fram etc.)? I have a primary water separating spin on filter (Sierra 18-7945), steel casing the same as several other brands and in 17 years of ownership I've never had a speck of rust but then again I change my filter regularly.

Then there's the USCG metallic construction requirement for inboard gasoline installations or said another way, no glass, plastic or see-through materials of any kind for filter or sediment bowl construction on a gas inboard.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                Wouldn't this this apply to the primary filter as well (see Racor, Sierra, Fram etc.)? I have a primary water separating spin on filter (Sierra 18-7945), steel casing the same as several other brands and in 17 years of ownership I've never had a speck of rust but then again I change my filter regularly.

Then there's the USCG metallic construction requirement for inboard gasoline installations or said another way, no glass, plastic or see-through materials of any kind for filter or sediment bowl construction on a gas inboard.
                I have had Racors rust on the outside. Actually that annoyed me to the point I decided to switch to Sierra filters. They cost a lot less and I replace them annually, so they never get a chance to rust.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

I too use the sierra filter. They're inexpensive enough that I just replace it every spring. Never had any rust.
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• msmith10
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2006

I agree with Ed. I got rid of the bottom-draining racor. I also use a sierra spin-on filter- just pull the whole filter and throw it away. Besides just having 1 o-ring to seal, I always worried about the drain at the bottom of the racor leaking. Yes, the drain does allow you to check for/drain water, but at 10 bucks or so per filter, I prefer to just change filters.
                    Last edited by msmith10; 01-04-2022, 01:59 PM.
                    Mark Smith
                    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by msmith10 View Post
                      I agree with Ed. I got rid of the bottom-draining racor. I also use a sierra spin-on filter- just pull the whole filter and throw it away. Besides just having 1 o-ring to seal, I always worried about the drain at the bottom of the racor leaking. Yes, the drain does allow you to check for/drain water, but at 10 bucks or so per filter, I prefer to just change filters.
                      If you have ethanol-gas, by the time something shows up in that drain you are in big trouble anyway and draining the filter won't solve it.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Further, my policy is filter cartridges are consumables and that includes a polishing filter (which I choose not to have).

BTW, I run on a steady diet of ethanol laced fuel (California), no problem.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Further, my policy is filter cartridges are consumables and that includes a polishing filter (which I choose not to have).

BTW, I run on a steady diet of ethanol laced fuel (California), no problem.
                          Ethanol gas is all we have here too. It is fine until water gets in it, filters won't fix that. A new fuel fill cap O-ring does though
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

It (ethanol) is fine until water gets in it, filters won't fix that.
                            Exactly. I've said it before, I'm much more interested in keeping water out than dealing with it where it doesn't belong. The discussion begs the question though, why do you guys have so much rust? Leaky boats? Climate? No dehumidifiers over the winter? California boy asking.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Exactly. I've said it before, I'm much more interested in keeping water out than dealing with it where it doesn't belong. The discussion begs the question though, why do you guys have so much rust? Leaky boats? Climate? No dehumidifiers over the winter? California boy asking.
                              My Sierra filters don't rust in a year, I don't keep them longer than that. The polishing filter is probably ten years old at this point.
                              Joe Della Barba
                              Coquina
                              C&C 35 MK I
                              Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                              X