Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 209.52.88.32
Old 04-12-2020, 12:32 PM

Lightbulb Noob

Hello fellows
I am a noobie working on my first a4 engine. We have a lot of problems, some of which are caused by my newness. I am trying to start to engine, initially after purchase on the dock engine cranked over but didn’t pump water. So I changed the impeller and tested for blockages using a 12v pump to force water thru the system. Which was wrong and while there was no blockages it forced water into cylinders and exhaust so I’ve had a time drying that out. The set screws were loose in pulley wheel causing it not to grab the spindle and impeller and turn it, now that is tightened I am having the problem of the engine not even, having electric go to it. It doesn’t even make a peep anymore totally dead. Engine is not like the one on the shop manual diagram either, has water pump also in the front and crank? Being spun by the belt. There is another solenoid tied into engine panel also. Can you fellows help this engine run again?
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 04-12-2020, 08:19 PM
Afourian MVP

Greetings and welcome to the forum!
Hopefully you can recover from your first mistake - flooding the engine. Put the hose away and dry out the engine. Take out the spark plugs, get the engine to turn, and blow the water out of the cylinders. If you can't get it to turn on the starter, use a small hose with a shop vac and clean out the cylinders. Then add some oil through the spark plug holes and turn it over by hand. You don't want the engine to rust solid while working on other issues. Leave the water OFF! You don't need cooling until after the engine starts, and even then not for 5 or 10 minutes at idle.
How much water got into the crankcase? What does the dipstick say?
There's probably water there under the oil, but it's unlikely it's mixed yet, as the engine hasn't run. Recommend you pump out the crankcase (use one of those vacuum units) and get rid of as much water as you can.
Pulley wheels and spindles should drive through keys, not set screws.
Before we go further, I'd like to see some photos of this engine. At least to make sure we're dealing with an Atomic 4.
Oh yeah, do not despair. The A4 is a tough engine!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Schober For This Useful Post:
Administrator (04-12-2020), Ando (04-13-2020), ronstory (04-13-2020)
  #3   IP: 137.103.82.227
Old 04-13-2020, 06:11 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmg View Post
Hello fellows
I am a noobie working on my first a4 engine. We have a lot of problems, some of which are caused by my newness. I am trying to start to engine, initially after purchase on the dock engine cranked over but didn’t pump water. So I changed the impeller and tested for blockages using a 12v pump to force water thru the system. Which was wrong and while there was no blockages it forced water into cylinders and exhaust so I’ve had a time drying that out. The set screws were loose in pulley wheel causing it not to grab the spindle and impeller and turn it, now that is tightened I am having the problem of the engine not even, having electric go to it. It doesn’t even make a peep anymore totally dead. Engine is not like the one on the shop manual diagram either, has water pump also in the front and crank? Being spun by the belt. There is another solenoid tied into engine panel also. Can you fellows help this engine run again?
Sounds like you have a fresh water cooled version. Can you post some photos of your engine?

Tags
Noob newbie power