Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#1   IP: 24.7.186.240
Old 07-15-2022, 11:26 AM

Pig in a poke

My wife and I came across a Bob Perry Islander that was owned by a senior citizen who came to the last stretch of highway and had to get rid of it. We bought it from a flipper who knew nothing about the boat for a rock bottom price. Thus far, our rolling of the dice has paid off. It has an A4 with around 900 hours on it, and the elderly former owner was an engineer who kept the boat in very good condition (although it sat for over a year).

We have now identified every system as being in good or better condition except the bottom, which has a small forest (our fingers are crossed about osmosis but these boats are known to be fairly blister free for their year). I went under the boat and cleared the raw water intake, and the engine is running with perfection, and sits at a nice 160ish degrees. The transmission engages beautifully and the prop is working. No drips and no leaks. My question: I suspect the prop and shaft have marine life and/or vegetation on them. I don't want to damage any shaft packing or gland cleaning them. I also don't want to run it with something on there out of balance, ike a barnacle or mollusk (I am comparing it to a Cherokee I had once that developed a bad driveshaft and damaged a bearing over time) and damage the gland or packing. Is there a standard prop on these and what are they made of? Can I use a metal brush to clean the prop? Is it a brass or bronze prop, normally? No available hull cleaners this weekend. If I have to let the boat sit for another week I will but we are eager to take our maiden trip. Boat is in East Bay SF, CA.

Last edited by Browntrout; 07-15-2022 at 11:29 AM.
  #2   IP: 162.245.50.196
Old 07-15-2022, 01:24 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
It is perfectly OK to wire brush the prop and shaft. You may also want to use a putty knife scraper on the blades it makes getting the barnacles off much easier. If the shaft and the prop look "fairly clean" balance should be no issue.

There are many props available most are bronze and there are some plastic ones too. You'll know when you grab it as most of the plastic props are flexible.

If it is a folding prop work it open and closed enough that it moves somewhat smoothly.

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (07-15-2022)
  #3   IP: 24.7.186.240
Old 07-15-2022, 01:43 PM

Thanks much. Since I can't get a diver for two weeks I am winging it, as I did opening the miserable water intake. I understand from reading that the photo shows a heat exchanger, I believe. Can someone identify this configuration so that I can properly research what I have?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Browntrout For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (07-15-2022)
  #4   IP: 208.93.185.253
Old 07-15-2022, 02:40 PM
Afourian MVP

I think this is a water lift muffler. Hot exhaust gases are mixed with the cooling water exiting the manifold, and that mixing cools the exhaust and quiets the noise. The exhaust pressure then pushes the mixture out the transom.

If this muffler fills with water, say from excessive cranking without starting with the seacock open, or a big following wave pushes sea water backwards through the exhaust hose, it can lead to water getting into the cylinders via the exhaust manifold. That is why you should not crank the engine for a long time without it starting with the seacock open. If the engine does not start right up, it is best to close the seacock until it starts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zellerj For This Useful Post:
Peter (07-15-2022), TimBSmith (07-15-2022)
  #5   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 07-16-2022, 09:09 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Islander 28 or Islander 32? What year?
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #6   IP: 172.58.39.168
Old 07-19-2022, 02:58 PM

78 Islander 28. So far, the boat has been fantastic. I took a real risk on this purchase. Have a small stuffing box leak (one drip per 20 seconds) and MIGHT be dripping after boat is sitting. Bottom needs redone; last issue will be whether we have pox--this boat is known not to have much problem with that, but we don't have any evidence of a haul out since 2010. The marina commodore says it was hauled out about 3 years ago to his recollection. Fingers crossed, etc.
  #7   IP: 162.245.50.196
Old 07-19-2022, 03:23 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Thumbs up

The stuffing box should leak. Leaking at 1 drop every 20 seconds is about right for "flax" packing. It should leak less when not running and leak it should. You can go to synthetic packing and drip far less especially when sitting. There is also a dripless available for a price.

The "gland" can be tightened a tiny bit at a time to reduce the drip, however your in the ball park right now.

Does the stuffing box feel warm when running? Should not be hot. You should be able to hold it without discomfort.

Dave Neptune
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
Peter (07-19-2022), Sam (07-19-2022), TimBSmith (07-19-2022)
  #8   IP: 24.7.186.240
Old 07-19-2022, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the helpful post about the stuffing box. I will be at the boat tomorrow afternoon/evening and check for dripping. I had no leakage sitting at all--but we really tested the engine and prop in Delta turbulence. I did not check for heat (I have never owned a keelboat before; the inboard experience is new to me). I will get some more intel tomorrow. Thanks again.