X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gailj
    • May 2011

Central California mechanic needed

I’m considering replacing my ‘67 A4 with a Moyer rebuild. I have a Cal 28 with a v-drive. I’m in a slip in Morro Bay, Calif. Are there any “good guys” in my area? I'll travel as far south as Ventura, if necessary.
    Have any of you attempted this replacement, and do you have any words of advice (or warning) for me? How long SHOULD this operation take an experienced mechanic, if no glitches are encountered?
    Someone suggested that we use my boom to help hoist and move the engine in to place. Can the boom actually handle a 350# load this way, especially from the dock, given the cantilever?
    Many thanks. Looking forward . . . gj
  • BryanLee
    • Jun 2008

For lifting from the boom, many people will run a halyard from the top of the mast to the boom, where the lifting tackle will be located, this will keep the boom from flexing. I would suggest lifting the boom a little with the halyard first(just an inch or two) to account for stretch in the halyard.

Both the halyard and the boom should be capable of holding far more then 350lbs, the only potential issue is flex since all the weight would be in the middle point on the boom.

Of course, I have not actually done this yet, but in a few weeks I will be! I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Don't use the boom for lifting. Use the main halyard to do the lift. Use the boom to pull the halyard aft to the hatch. If your outhaul is long enough, good. Otherwise add a pennant to your outhaul.
      You can cut the weight down quite a bit by removing the heavy stuff - starter, alternator, flywheel, and manifold. Good to pump the oil out too to prevent 'accidents'.
      Once the engine is out in the cockpit, I swing the engine over to the dock using the boom. Be prepared for the boat to heel a bit.
      Last engine swap I did was about 6 hours total. Three hours out one evening. Three hours in the next morning with the spare.

Al

Comment

Working...
      X