• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CRUX
    • Nov 2019

Spinning stud on motor mount

Hi All,

In attempting to refine my engine alignment, I ran into an issue with the rear starboard engine mount stud spinning.

I am trying to avoid hauling the engine again to replace this mount (as I just hauled it last year to replace a cracked oil pan).

My dream would be to cut the stud underneath the pan, that way I can just slip out the mount. This leaves me with the problem of getting a new one in. Is anyone aware of motor mounts that have removable studs so that I could slip in the new mount and install the stud from above.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
    Last edited by CRUX; 10-18-2021, 10:33 AM.
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

Marine stores have replacement combo threaded /Lag"studs that can be installed after original stud is removed. Hole is filled with thickened Epoxy Resin with fibers added, redrill, then install new stud and Resin it in place.

Best Art

Comment

• Surcouf
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2018

unless you can access from the side and try to do a bad job drilling the whole side and inject epoxy / resin under pressure... your pretty much only option is to lift the engine, or at least move it a few inches to the other side to do exactly as described above.
      Good luck...
      Surcouf
      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

The stud I had ro replace was small enough diameter I was able to pull
        it up through the motor mount hole and install the replacement the same way.
        Of course it had ample washers . I think that there was enough space that
        the motor could be aligned vertically to the shaft with shims/ spacers.
        It was many years ago.

Best Art

Comment

Working...
        X