• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by Ando View Post
    A race car mechanic seemed to think that switching from straight 30w oil to 20-50 (with a quart of Lucas) may help provide more oil pressure. What’s the forum’s take on this?
    I use Shell Rotella 15W40 and it works well. That said, the issue you are having is not going to be fixed with different oil. Straight 30 isn't THAT bad. I would try it anyway, but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Agree with Joe there. Ando, did you have anyone look at that oil sending unit with you. Is there anyone we know close by that could have a peek? I'd do that before I'd go hauling things apart. As for 15W40, I've been using 15W40 since 2007 and change out every 25 hours. After the first few changes you will notice your oil is always clean.

Last year my engine developed a crack near the exhaust ports because of corrosion. I had a replacement sitting in the garage for 11 years and put that in the boat...runs fine. When I took the base pan off the engine that came out of the boat there was not one bit of sludge to be found. It was nice and clean. It had 15W40 oil from the day I got it running back in 2007.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Ando
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Mo View Post
        Ando, did you have anyone look at that oil sending unit with you. Is there anyone we know close by that could have a peek?.
        I am fortunate enough to say that Ndutton is near me. But I confirmed that the sending unit is, in fact, reading correctly by ordering a mechanical gauge from mmi and testing it with the regulating valve turned all the way to the seat.
        Last edited by Ando; 08-31-2021, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Ando
          • Jul 2019

Oil pressure issue resolved

Yes, I solved the oil pressure problem...the 3/4" nut at the oil pan was loosely fitted. I found out when I went to do an oil change. Did the oil change from straight 30 to three quarts of 20-50 and one quart of Hyper Lube (thx Ndutton for the tip on that hyper lube). Now the low end is 20 and high is 40. Guess I don’t need a new engine after all.
          Last edited by Ando; 09-17-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Ando View Post
            Yes, I solved the oil pressure problem...the 3/4" nut at the oil pan was loosely fitted. I found out when I went to do an oil change. Did the oil change from straight 30 to three quarts of 20-50 and one quart of Hyper Lube (thx Ndutton for the tip on that hyper lube). Now the low end is 20 and high is 40. Guess I don’t need a new engine after all.
            The oil was leaking out
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• Ando
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
              The oil was leaking out
              A bit, yes…noticed it in the bilge and was like “hmmm, where is that coming from?” Lost about a little less than a quart of oil.

Comment

• Surcouf
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • May 2018

confusing... was the pressure issue solved by changing oil?
                seems that the oil leak and the loose oil pan nut is a different subject...

it is great to be able to walk away from an overhaul / engine swap..
                Surcouf
                A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Connecting the oil leak with low oil pressure brings the severity of the leak into play. If the oil level becomes dangerously low I can see where the oil pressure would be affected but if the leak was small enough to maintain a workable oil level over the time span of the engine run, not so much.

I'm thinking the Hyperlube had more to do with the oil pressure improvement than anything else.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Ando
                    • Jul 2019

I’m not sure, guys, I’m just happy. Thx so much

Comment

Working...
                    X