• ajgaines
    • Aug 2019

Old electric fuel pump burned up

Click image for larger version

Name:	16183526805708620871083101386715.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	206021

I was running the engine yesterday when the engine suddenly shut off. A ton of smoke had built up in the boat and after inspecting the engine I found that the electric fuel pump had burned up. There was a small hole in the side where a black plastic thing had melted out.

Some pertinent information is that the gas had previously been terrible which clogged up my carburetor previously. I did a total clean of the tank and put in new lines but kept the same fuel pump. So my thought was the bad gas had somehow messed up the old pump. I had also installed a fuel water filter in line between the tank and the pump.

I tried to replace the electric fuel pump with a similar one that only pushed 1-2 psi but it seems as if it won't suck any fuel at all.

So my questions are...
    Any idea what caused the electric fuel pump to burn up?
    What should I replace it with? The new fuel pump I tried installing won't push any fuel at all.

Cheers,

Alec
    Last edited by ajgaines; 04-13-2021, 06:25 PM.
  • zellerj
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2005

My guess is that the suction tube is plugged in the tank causing the fuel pump to work very hard and overheat. Another idea is there is a hole in the downstream gas line or suction tube that prevents a vacuum from forming. Have you ever tried to suck up a soda with a straw with a hole in it?

I would test your new pump with gas using a new container, bypassing all of the tank, pickup tube and hose to the pump. If it works in this case then you know the problem is in the tank and supply tubing.

check over your new fuel system and make sure it is airtight. Make sure the suction tube is pristine, and no junk is ending up in the filter.
    Last edited by zellerj; 04-13-2021, 07:28 PM.
    Jim Zeller
    1982 Catalina 30
    Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

There was an era of defective Facet cylinder pumps, I wonder if you have one of them. My memory is foggy but I think it was about 20 years ago.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

I believe that THIS post by Don back in 2006 is what Neil is remembering.
        (I KNOW he remembers my Hot Facet testing)

"Most electric fuel pump manufactures today recommend 5 to 10 amp fuse protection in this circuit, but many engines supplied by Universal in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s (probably several thousand!) were shipped without fuses in this circuit. The Facet Pump Company currently recommends 5 amp fuse protection in this circuit, but many of the earlier Facet pumps had stickers allowing up to 10 amp fuse protection.

This circuit is particularly hazardous due to the “soldering iron” effect. If this circuit is only protected by the 20 amp fuse between the coil and the ignition switch, a partially shorted fuel pump can create considerable heat (equivalent to a soldering iron, hence the name of this process) while only drawing 10 to 18 amps – thereby never blowing the 20 amp fuse. Considerable heat can be generated even at 8 to 10 amps, which is probably why Facet is now recommending 5 amp fusing."
        Last edited by roadnsky; 04-14-2021, 10:05 AM.
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Sinterklaas
          Frequent Contributor
          • Aug 2013

I found the same type of hole in my fuel pump after a sudden shut down (after 5 hrs of running quite well). Did you ever find any contributing causes or was it just the pump?
          Attached Files

Comment

• W2ET
            Former Admin
            • Oct 2008

Same type, and in the same place.

Bill

Comment

• Sinterklaas
              Frequent Contributor
              • Aug 2013

Bill....do you mean you had the same issue happen with a pump?

Comment

• W2ET
                Former Admin
                • Oct 2008

No, I was just looking at the two pics.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                X