Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 71.244.241.97
Old 11-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Startup (and other) issue

Another question guys. I picked up the project boat with the engine in pieces last winter. I rebuilt it all over winter and put it back in the project boat in the spring. Boat went into the water 6 or 8 weeks ago. Until recently, the engine startup procedure was choke closed, fresh water pump on, ignition switch on, tap the starter button for a fraction of a second and she fired right up (then I open the seawater through hull). Three weeks ago, I had to crank it for a good 30 seconds to get it started. Two weeks ago, I cranked a few 15 - 30 second shots with no luck, gave it a shot of starting fluid, and it started right up. This weekend (Saturday), several 15 - 30 second bursts and multiple shots of starting fluid and and it finally started when I was about to give up. At idle, it stalled several times, which has never happened before.

Sunday I set the carburetor idle mixture back to the starting point, one turn out from seated. It had been at about 1 3/4 turn out (replaced the oil pressure sending unit nipple that I broke off in the process). I checked the timing and is was about 10 degrees before TDC. Dwell was down around 20 degrees. Dialed the timing and dwell back to TDC and 31 degrees dwell.

Still had difficulty starting until a few hours later. Since then, every time I start it, it is a quick press of the starter button (less than a second) and it fires right up.

I have never had a carbureted engine, with spark, fuel, and starting fluid, fail to cough, sputter, or make any indication of fire in the cylinder. Somebody told me that when I pulled out of the slip on Saturday, it sounded like the engine was "loading up" (flooding). I didn't know an engine sounded different when the carb was flooding, so am curious about that.

So my question is, could the idle screw being out 1 3/4 turns cause the engine to flood? Everything seems ok again now, but I have a little uneasiness about trusting it right now. Any suggestions?