Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#1   IP: 24.193.42.223
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 PM

Pulled off the head, need advice on next steps

Hi All,

It took about a week of spray-spray tap-tap, but I finally got my head off in order to replace it with a used head I got from MM.

I'm not an experienced mechanic so I'm looking for some feedback on these images I took.

1. It looks to me like the valve on cyl 3 is stuck in the closed position. How do I open that?

2. Whats the best/safest way to remove all the gunk from the head and inside the cylinders. Most of this is gasket material from prying up the head.

3. The studs you see in their posts....Can i just keep these in when I put the new head on? The ones that came out are studs that got removed along with their nuts. I'm going to replace these.

4. It appears that there is some stuff stuck down inside the valve of cyl 1. Any way to get at that stuff without removing the valves?
Attached Images

#2   IP: 216.115.121.253
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Did you mean to say the valve is stuck closed? Usually the valves stick open and the spring can't close it.
If your valve is stuck in the closed position, then somethings really broken down in the camshaft. Can you turn the motor over with a hand crank and watch the valves to see if they move up.
Gentle scraping and a shop vac to suck up the goo from that mess. Don't scrape in to the base metal; cast iron is soft compared to paint knifes and scraper blades.
Get it clean enough to eat off of and you will be close.

Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #3   IP: 138.88.73.244
Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Afourian MVP

Hi trb,

You need to clean everything. Do not under any circumstances put the motor back together with all that gunk in there.

I know you don't want to hear that, but it is my strong opinion that you clean it up. You can likely use a shop vac to get the loose chunks, and then even use a hose & soapy water...there is nothing wrong with doing that to a metal block...as long as you thoroughly dry it (grab the wife's hairdryer!!) & don't store it wet or with bare metal exposed to the atmosphere. Maybe a nice light coating of MMO would be good too so that moisture doesn't damage exposed metal before re-assembly or wrap it in oil soaked bath towels, etc.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #4   IP: 193.253.220.149
Old 08-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Afourian MVP

Studs

Red,

When pulling the head off my A4, several studs remained in place. I left them where they were and had no trouble reassembling and torquing the nuts as per the Moyer manual instructions.

Be sure to clean out all those cooling water passages as the others have stressed. I'm assuming a saltwater cooled engine here. Might I suggest the fresh water cooling upgrade? My FWC engine was MUCH cleaner when I opened it up. This is what it looked like when I pulled the head. You can still see pieces of the old gasket (notice the studs I left in place):
Attached Images

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

#5   IP: 193.253.220.149
Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 AM
Afourian MVP

...and the head

Here is another picture just for comparison:
Attached Images

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

#6   IP: 68.109.228.113
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 AM

Been there!

Hi trb,
Having been there a couple months ago, I totally agree with the recent threads. After diagoising the blown head gasket we decided we needed to remove the head. I also cannot over stress the importance of cleaning EVERYTHING! DO NOT RE-ASSEMBLE the head without cleaning everything. We used engine cleaner, scrapers, water spray gun and anything we could to punch out the waterjackets. All the water jackets need to be flushed out in the block and also the head. Don't forget the thermostat. I just cleaned mine, tested it and put it back. You can replace it if you think you need to. Prior to removing the head, mine was so clogged that my temp sensor was giving us a false reading. After a good cleaning it work great! I also left my studs in the block against the MM Overhaul & Repair recommendation and everything torqued up fine. Be sure the threads are clean so up get an accurate torque setting. Chase them if necessary. Be sure to use the two gaskets supplied by MM. Remember clean is key.
Good luck,

Chief
  #7   IP: 199.246.2.11
Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 AM

Just logged in after a long summer. Looking at the photo,s and I would recomend replacing all of the studs as the threads look very thin. Also for me after seeing the extent I would pull the engine and do a complete rebuild. Doing half a job may be a diservise to a good old engine.

John
Alberg30