X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

My meters are cheap FleaBay specials. I am not sure about melting shunts, if you are using say a 30 amp shunt in a circuit that carries up to 200 amps, not only would the shunt possibly melt the meter reading would be WAY off too.
    The meter shown measures 200 amps in or out of the battery. If I start the engine off the house bank I can see the starter drawing about 120-125 amps.
    Attached Files
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

I will most likely isolate the starter from this panel. This panel's ammeter is just for the draw from the battery to all the goodies in the house circuits.
      The engine will be isolated as separate entity. I still have the rather rough ammeter in the engine panel that shows draw and charge of the altenator.
      And then;
      solar panel circuits,
      AC circuits, etc.
      .....ahhhhhmy head hurts. Like I tried to insinuate in earlier posts, I'm learning slowly.

I'm sure Neil is having a chuckle reading my 'lectronic efforts.

R.
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
        .....ahhhhhmy head hurts. Like I tried to insinuate in earlier posts, I'm learning slowly.

I'm sure Neil is having a chuckle reading my 'lectronic efforts.
        Nope, not me. There is nothing like designing and building your own distribution panel to advance your understanding of electricity and nobody will be in a better position to troubleshoot in the future. It looks to me like you're doing just fine.

Part of the learning is realizing why these panels cost so much.
        Last edited by ndutton; 06-06-2020, 07:57 AM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
          Thanks Ed.

Nice Joe,
          I see little wires. Are those for LEDs too?

I protected my ammeter and voltmeter with 1-amp fuses. I wonder; is there resistance in the fuse that might drop the voltage(50 millivolts in this case) to the meter, thus changing calibration with the matching shunt?

After I made this panel, I learned that my father-in-law was putting in the same ammeter in his experimental airplane. I thought "cool! we have something in common, something to talk about"
          He fried two meters while sorting out an issue with the shunt that was too small. I guess with the whole airplane's electrical system switched on and the alternator charging a low battery, it was too many amps. It melted the shunt and then took out the meter. At least I think that was the sequence.
          I tried to interrogate him about what went wrong, but only got an icy stare.
          Never interrogate a father-in-law.

So now I'm mister smartypants about correct shunt size and stuff. At least until my setup starts smoking.
          The little wires are for LEDs. Each circuit has an LED and the panel is backlit with LEDs as well to read the labels in the dark. I can switch the panel backlights off if I want to. I have 2 8 circuit panels and 2 three circuit.
          Here is the front side (generic, not my boat):
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
          X