Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 198.228.217.159
Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 PM

Automatic Four Transmission Mystery

Recently my A Four seemed to have little power in reverse. Thinking the folding prop had not opened completely I tried to shift forward to jolt it open but the shift lever wouldn't move. Still at the dock, I began my investigations and when I got the transmission cover off I could see that part of the mechanism was out of place.

There are two flat bars that, in tandem, squeeze the reversing bands. The horizontal one, labeled AXO (some numbers follow) and the vertical one with a hole and a rounded notch at the forward end were not as they should be. After much effort and relaxing the spring adjustment considerably I got everything back into place and returned the spring nut to its former tension.

I then proceeded to hook up the shift linkage. When I looked again the vertical piece had again lifted free and was no longer contributing force to the 'squeeze'. Same trouble getting things aligned again but did not want to repeat my misadventure. I decided the hole(s) must be in those parts for some reason and installed a bolt with a locking nut. The mechanism seems to function fine to my eye but the neutral position at the helm has been altered. Before I make a grievous error I am hoping someone here can tell me what caused the problem of these pieces slipping out of their relative positions and if adding that bolt will be something I will regret. I won't be going anywhere until I get some good advice. Thanks for any and all insight!
  #2   IP: 23.241.157.69
Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Lightbulb Hints

awe~~~, first welcome to the Afourian Forum! Not to worry we have a few experts on the trans. I have adjusted many but have never had one apart.

Note~neutral is just a compromise between how tight reverse is set after getting the forward detent adjusted properly. Be sure the lever is being held securely when in reverse, it is only your pressure on the "Band" that powers reverse!!!!!

Slamming it while running could of sheared off the retaining bolt or pin, not sure here and my manual is not available at the present.

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 216.115.121.240
Old 03-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Afourian MVP

Oliver,
The MMI site has a few tips on reversing gear adjustments:
http://www.moyermarine.com/faq/2.html

Also, I think the DVD vids are a lot cheaper than broken parts:
http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...rebuilder.html

A sample here:
http://www.moyermarine.com/images/reverse.wmv

Welcome,
Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #4   IP: 198.228.217.158
Old 03-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Automatic Four Tranny Mystery

Spoke to the esteemed Don Moyer a few minutes ago and found a pin has gone missing between the Brace lever and the Brake Bar. Mr. Moyer cautions against using a bolt as I have done. On his website you can order an improved design with cotter pin keeper. It's about 3/4 of the way down on the kits tab of the online catalog and sells for about $16.oo. Thanks to Moyer Marine!

Tags
reverse, tranny problem