X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DCHunt
    • May 2008

Winterizing A4 with Cooling System Bypass kit

Well it is getting time to winterize the engine up here in Buffalo NY, although tomorrow the temperature is supposed to get to 70 degrees!

In the past I have always removed the thermostat from the engine, then run the antifreeze solution through it until it came out the exhaust in the stern of the boat. This is a hassle because you have to remove the thermostat housing, then the thermostat, then try to put the housing back together so it will hold for the winter then remove it again in the spring and put the thermostat back in, all the while being sure to torque the head bolts properly.

Last winter, with the help of Don Moyer's advise I replaced the engine head and exhaust manifold and at the same time add the Moyer 'Cooling System Bypass Kit' (Pt # CSOT_01_61). I was wondering if I could winterize the engine this year by not removing the thermostat and just running the antifreeze through the engine. If so, do I want the check valve in the bypass loop open or closed to insure that all parts of the system get antifreeze in them and I don't have any part where just water is trapped?

Thanks,

Dan
  • MN John
    • Oct 2015

I just installed the cooling system bypass kit as well. The ball valve closed directs the flow thru the block. I ran antifreeze into mine after warmed up with fresh water and then drained the water from drain plugs, with the ball valve at about half for a few cycles out of exhaust and then fully closed and ran a few more cycles before shutting down. It was my first time ever winterizing a motor, I hope I did everything correct. all my other boats were in much warmer climates!

I did still remove the t-stat because I am unsure of exactly how they work and didn't want to restrict the flow thru the block and towards manifold with the t-stat. Removing the t-stat wasn't too much of a hassle after following the directions for installing the gaskets with sealant on only one side of each so the gaskets stay on the desired piece. As far as removing/torqueing the bolts, its not a bad thing, remember some have trouble even removing them!

Comment

• DCHunt
      • May 2008

The problem is the boat is on the hard so it is hard to run the engine long enough to warm it up. Usually after removing the thermostat we run it long enough to consume 4 gallons of the antifreeze and then turn it off.

We have never had a problem with that approach. I just wanted to get away from the hassle of removing the thermostat cover. I was thinking I could run with the ball valve closed for about 2 gallons of antifreeze then with it open for 2 more.

Dan

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

close off the bypass and all the water goes thru the engine, I used to do it that way with no problems. (Florida now)

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Dan

Have you ever tried running without a thermostat?
          Try removing the thermostat this year and winterizing then don't put the thermostat back in at the start of the next season. With the valve on the bypass you will be able to balance the flow through and around the engine. If the engine runs too cold for your liking then put the thermostat back in next season.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
          X