Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Exhaust System

#1   IP: 76.238.136.44
Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 PM

Exhaust Hot Section On Pearson Triton

Keelcooler in response to a picture of my engine room from another thread asked that I post the details of the hot section design. I inhereted it from the PO who had it custom built by a reputable boat yard Richmond Boat Works (now KKMI) of stainless steel (see picture below). The design is a custom fit for the Pearson Triton engine room (see picture below). The hot section bends from the manifold flange back toward the cabin and then rises up about 12 inches after clearing the bulkhead under the bridge deck. The cooling water is then injected into the hot section on the way down. I recently moved the waterlift muffler to under the port cockpit to make room for the new fuel tank (see picture). This raised the static height of the waterlift muffler a few inches. It's good thing that the rise in the hot section is sufficient to allow 12" of height difference between the waterlift muffler and the highest point of the hot section. I am very pleased with the quality and design of the hot section.

The stainless steel hot section

Blossom's (Triton) engine room

New location for the waterlift muffler

Ray
Blossom - Triton 106
Alameda, California
The Following User Says Thank You to Triton106 For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (10-09-2020)
  #2   IP: 74.96.148.103
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Ray, Thank you for sharing the details on that well crafted stack. What an excellent solution for our under cockpit space dilemma. That takes full advantage of the only space we have under the motor hatch and does not appear to compromise our limited access to the engine. That yard metal worker put some time in on that one. If the PO lavished up grades like that in other areas that’s going to be a smart little ship you picked up.

It looks like about a 2” pipe. How did he do the flange mating and still have nut or bolt access? I’ve been contemplating replacement strategies all winter and you’ve sent me off thinking in a new direction. I’m afraid the financial road block route.

By the way, I am able to clean the prop in the water w/out a diver. I strap a pfd under my ass, turn the blade with my foot to about one o’clock and pull scrape clean w/a butter knife w/out the use of a snorkel. In SF bay you will need a wetsuit.
  #3   IP: 199.254.67.146
Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Keelcooler,

Thanks for your ideas to clean the prop without diving. I still cannot quite picture how you did it. Maybe, if you have the time, you can elaborate it bit more.

The hot section is the standard size (I think 1-1/4) that fits right into the standard size flange coupling. I don't know what it costed the PO you maybe able to get a quote from a local welder. I am sure you can do something similar with regular plumbing parts.

There are some real nice features on this Triton but overall the condition was neglected when I bought it.

Best luck with your hot section design.
  #4   IP: 69.232.193.155
Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Hi Ray,

I have similar exhaust riser on my Pearson 10M. My PO was from Richmond so he may as well have got it made from the same people. While repowering my 10M recently I took the riser out and checked it. The down-spout after the water injection was a bit pitted, other than that the riser was in perfect condition. Just to be safe I had a welding expert cut the down-spot off and weld a new piece. He had to be careful so as to not cut the water injection tube that is concentrically at the center of the down-spout. I am attaching some pics for reference.

Great arrangement on your Triton. I have one question for you. Is the IN of your muffler on the side? It would seem so from the pics. I would just make sure to look at the length of the hose from the water injection to the input of the muffler. This arrangement does give you good ht between the water IN on the muffler and the topmost point on the mixing elbow, however one needs to pay attention to the volume of water that will travel down to the muffler once the engine is shut off. As soon as the exhaust gases stop coming the water is not being pushed out of the muffler. Based on the ID of the hose and the length of the hose from the downspout (near mixing elbow) to the IN of the muffler, X volume of water will land in the muffler once the engine is shutoff. Some more will be added when you crank the engine the next time and before it starts.

My only word of caution is that the volume X should in no way exceed the volume of the muffler. In fact it should be a % of the volume of the muffler. The muffler manufacturer will specify the max amount of water that can enter the muffler on shutdown. if you have already calculated this designed it accordingly, ignore my message above.

Cheers.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to SeaFever For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (10-09-2020)
  #5   IP: 74.92.224.177
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Disclaimer: I do not fully understanding how much water is in each part of a waterlift system at various stages of operation.

However, it seems like the ID of the hose from the water injection point to the muffler wouldn't matter much with regards to how much water would enter the muffler at shutdown. This section should never be full of water, should it?

I think I understand that the vented loop is always full of water during operation and the volume of the exhaust side of that hose will fall to the muffler on shut down, so a vented loop that is too high or using hose that is too large could be a problem.

Qben Oliver
  #6   IP: 76.238.136.199
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM

SeaFever,

Nice looking exhause section! It's very similar to the way mine is constructed.

Your point is well taken. When I moved the waterlift from directly under the cockpit to the port side to make room for the new fuel tank I thought a lot about the location and orientation of the waterlift muffler. The reason I elected to point the Inlet of the waterlift muffler away from the engine is as follows. When the boat heels over on a port tack (i.e. the port side is high up and starboard side is low down) the remaining water in the muffler would have to travel UP through the Inlet to get to the engine. If I had pointed the Inlet toward the engine then all of the water will come straight down toward the engine. Hence, even though the entire length of the exhause hose is longer this way the chance of water actually getting into engine is reduced.

If you see any other aspect I should have considered please let me know. I very much appreciate everyone's discerning eyes.

Ray
  #7   IP: 69.232.193.155
Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 AM

Hi Ray,

Agreed. It is difficult top visualize the layout from pictures. But obviously you have thought about that aspect.

Again, great layout.