• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
    It will be interesting to see if I can get the motor to run with the 1.5 ohm coil again just for fun, but I doubt it.
    Please keep in mind Shawn that this test may put undue amperage through your EI module.

there is more testing to do there to see if I can keep the engine running with the voltage I want in the system (14.1-14.2)
    Why did you choose this particular voltage? Anything to do with the voltage loss through your isolator?

Another nice byproduct of running the engine while I do other stuff around the boat at the dock when it is cold is that the engine heats up the cabin very nicely!
    Better the engine than the coil
    Last edited by ndutton; 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      Please keep in mind Shawn that this test may put undue amperage through your EI module.
      Good point.. I have a 2 ohm resistor that should be sufficient at normal voltages....maybe I should throw that coil away or stack more than one resistor in front of it.

Why did you choose this particular voltage? Anything to do with the voltage loss through your isolator?
      Yes...I may have to ditch the isolator if I cannot get my voltage where I want it with fixed regulators. 14.1-14.2 charging is my target voltage under normal conditions. While it seemed like a great solution at first, the extra complexity of the adjustable regulator is beginning to wear thin. The possibility it is blowing up $35 coils left & right isn't keeping it in my good graces either.

Better the engine than the coil
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

resistor in weird place

i have discovered an A four with electronic ignition with a resistor wired between the black terminal of the ignition module and coil -. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Comment

• msauntry
          • May 2008

FYI- You can tell if you've burned up your Pertronix module because it has a sticker on it that is temperature sensitive. It'll be melted if the unit has failed.
          I believe this only applies to the original Pertronix module and not the Pertronix "II" that has supplemented or replaced it.
          Last edited by msauntry; 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
            i have discovered an A four with electronic ignition with a resistor wired between the black terminal of the ignition module and coil -. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
            I've never seen one that way but thinking on it I don't have a problem either. It's the circuit amperage that matters and the negative side plays an equal role.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• smosher
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2006

Thats how I have my ballast resistor wired in.

Steve

Comment

• Ball Racing
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2011

If you have a resistor on the negative side, then you don't have to worry as much about mounting location, and about something laying against it and shorting it, as it's already on the ground side?
                Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
                Daniel

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

I don't think so.

With the resistor on the ground side, a short there will cause current to flow constantly and will eventually cook the coil, EI module or both. The ground side of the ignition isn't a solid ground, it actually switches the the ignition circuit on and off. A short on that side negates the ignition function.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

I wanted to bump this thread and reinforce an advisement.

For those with electronic ignition who choose to follow the recommendations set forth in this and other threads aka the Rule of 2011, whenever you replace a coil I advise measuring its internal resistance and running the calculation described in the first post in this thread NO MATTER WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE COIL.

This is about taking personal responsibility for your own installation, your own engine, your own boat. Do not blindly take published specifications at face value or in other words, trust but verify. If you changed the spark plugs you'd check their gap, if you replaced the alternator you'd measure its output voltage, same goes for the coil.

Be vigilant my friends
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

I wanted to bump this thread and reinforce an advisement.

For those with electronic ignition who choose to follow the recommendations set forth in this and other threads aka the Rule of 2011, whenever you replace a coil I advise measuring its internal resistance and running the calculation described in the first post in this thread NO MATTER WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE COIL.

This is about taking personal responsibility for your own installation, your own engine, your own boat. Do not blindly take published specifications at face value or in other words, trust but verify. If you changed the spark plugs you'd check their gap, if you replaced the alternator you'd measure its output voltage, same goes for the coil.

Be vigilant my friends
                      Lot of Truth there--- especially the part about " adjusting as necessary" and "not taking published specifications at face value". One thing we might agree on---everyone needs a good multi meter and knowledge of how to use it.

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                        Lot of Truth there--- especially the part about "adjusting as necessary" . . . . .
                        Where is that part you quoted?
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Where is that part you quoted?
                          Post #1 by ndutton

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

I see, adjust the safety margin as necessary, the only factor we applied in consideration of Pertronix's MAXIMUM specification. Hasn't been necessary.

I apologize if the quote mentioned from the first post in this thread was confusing. Perhaps a paragraph, provided here in its entirety for full context, from another recent thread will help clear the haze:
                            For the record, even though it has been suggested occasionally, we don't make up our own target values. This trip point was the result of solid testing. The 4 amp ignition system maximum described in the Rule of 2011 was a specification from the manufacturer of MMI's electronic ignition product. I'll admit the 15% safety margin applied in the Rule of 2011 was ours but subject to change after subsequent testing if the testing lead us in that direction. It didn't.
                            In the same thread it was suggested our conclusions in the Rule of 2011 were reached independent of experience (post #33) which of course is untrue (we seem to go through that a lot, don't we?). The postulates were fully and successfully tested in real world applications by multiple members before conclusions were published. Anyone who takes the time to read the 5 star thread Coil Input Information knows this.

To repeat the advisement so it doesn't get lost in other superfluous chatter, be sure to measure the resistance of any new coil prior to installation regardless of its source or pedigree. For those so inclined, apply the measurement as described in the first post in this thread.
                            Last edited by ndutton; 08-22-2015, 08:19 PM.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                            X