Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 64.180.151.88
Old 01-22-2021, 01:58 PM

Advice for starting a4 after a long layup due to covid - 1 year

Hi all,
Just looking for any procedure the members would use before starting a 1972 A4 which has lain dormant with brand new oil for almost 1 year due to our Covid border closure between Canada / USA.
My own thoughts would be to add MMO to each cyl. and let stand overnight and next day after removing the coil lead to turn over in slow spurts just to get some oil on the Cyl bores and then try to get her started.
Any other advice would be very welcome. ???
Thanks.
  #2   IP: 47.142.133.234
Old 01-22-2021, 02:06 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

If the boat is in the water close the raw cooling valve until the engine starts.

ex TRUE GRIT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
sastanley (01-27-2021), Shrek (01-22-2021)
  #3   IP: 64.180.151.88
Old 01-22-2021, 02:09 PM

Thx John - Any other advice. I am wondering how much MMO / cylinder?
  #4   IP: 24.15.212.17
Old 01-22-2021, 04:11 PM
Afourian MVP

Glad to hear it was layed up with new oil. If you have a distributor w/points one swipe with a point file or emory cloth to remove "invisible" corrosion before starting. Clean all other contacts on the starter, coil, battery cables/ground etc. If the fuel lines, filter, pump and carb were not drained I would do so now. If the tank is close to being full and was stabilized I would at a minimum pump a couple gallons from the bottom of the tank - may have to jury rig an additional pump and hose down the fill tube. If the tank has some "old ethanol gas" I 'd probably remove it all. Bring batteries up to full charge and give it a try. I can usually wake up my 1966 A4 in about 5 min. I use a set of older plugs at start up A valve or two might stick but frees up quickly. [At lay up I use fogging oil in the carb and in the cylinders - teaspoon of MMo in each cylinder can only help.}
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
Shrek (01-22-2021)
  #5   IP: 64.180.151.88
Old 01-22-2021, 08:10 PM

Thanks Sam.

I always turn the fuel supply off and let the fuel run out until the engine dies, and we had just changed the oil within 1 hour of shut down. The tank was maybe half full 6 gallons. I have lots of filtration and water separating filters x2 plus a fine filter between the sediment bowl and the carb but after the pump (manual pump) I was thinking to add the MMO and crank the A4 without spark for a few turns just to get the oil onto the cylinder walls. If she turns freely then I would replace the ignition lead from the dist. to the coil and hope for the best. Should that do it ?

Many thanks.
  #6   IP: 24.15.212.17
Old 01-22-2021, 08:43 PM
Afourian MVP

Mine has been on the hard for the last year as well - turned the A4 over by hand for a couple of rotations so valve springs don't set on a couple of visits. You should be ok. If it doesn't start after a few attempts [w/coil lead connected] check for spark/corrosion as mentioned. At spring start up I have recently started to break the "rules" by doing two things at once and have begun to use a little starting fluid in the carb before the first crank. Two springs ago it started after a couple of cranks, ran a little rough and then smothed out in a few minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
Shrek (01-17-2022)
  #7   IP: 134.41.89.226
Old 01-22-2021, 09:03 PM
Afourian MVP

I'd be more worried about fuel condition, if it was stabilized, how much was in the tank and subsequent condensation / water buildup. A year is a long time on the fuel we get these days.

Edit: I see Sam touched on that...awesome.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mo For This Useful Post:
Shrek (01-22-2021)
  #8   IP: 172.58.75.48
Old 01-23-2021, 10:17 AM
Afourian MVP

From Don in the FAQ section:

Two years is not all that long for an Atomic 4 to be idle. Nonetheless, here are a few steps to help get it off to a good start:

1) Check for good quality oil (30 weight, or 10-30) up to the full mark on the dipstick.

2) Put several squirts of Marvel Mystery Oil in each spark plug hole (aiming the spout of the can away from the manifold side of the engine) so that most of the oil will reach the cylinder bores. Then rotate the engine on the starter while holding your thumb over each spark plug hole. There should be enough compression produced at each cylinder to make it virtually impossible to hold your thumb over any of the spark plug holes.

3) Remove the main passage plug from the bottom of the carburetor and operate the fuel pump to move some fuel through the entire fuel system, and catch it in a jar below the carburetor. A couple pints should be enough to insure that the fuel is flowing perfectly clean. Then reinstall the plug and operate the fuel pump again until the carburetor is charged with fuel.

4) Remove the distributor cap and clean off the contact surfaces of the points.

5) Turn the engine over until the points are closed (It will be easier to rotate the engine if the spark plugs are removed). Then turn the ignition switch “ON”; while holding the secondary coil lead approximately 1/4″ from the head, flick the points open and closed. Each time the points are opened, there should be a good secondary spark observed between the coil lead and the head.

Assuming that these checks all went without incident, you have confirmed that you have adequate compression, fuel to (and through) the carburetor, a good secondary discharge available and ready for delivery to each cylinder, and your engine should be ready to start.

In the event that you are relatively new to the Atomic 4, Here are a few tips on starting technique:

1) “Pumping the throttle” is totally ineffective in starting the Atomic 4. Since there is no accelerator pump within the carburetor, pumping the throttle has absolutely no effect on anything in terms of supplying more or less fuel to the engine.

2) If your engine tries to start, but falters and stops as soon as you stop cranking on the starter, it is likely simply not getting enough fuel to work itself out of the idle range and into the lower range of the main discharge nozzle of the carburetor (which occurs around 1000 RPM). After an engine is warmed up, it will tend to start OK in idle, but cold engines seldom will start and run within the idle range. They need to start and warm up in the lower range of the main discharge nozzle before they can be brought back to idle.

3) The best setting for the throttle during starting is solidly off of the idle stop, so as to uncover both idle ports and get you into the “off idle” range of operation. It’s somewhat better to err on the high side in terms of throttle setting. If your engine ends up racing the instant that it starts, you can back off a little on the throttle setting during future starts.

As soon as the engine starts, check for oil pressure leveling out at 40 psi or above (engine still cold), and for a good flow of water out of the exhaust. In a normal cooling system, there should be enough water flowing through the engine so that it builds up a bit of head as the exhaust pressure builds up enough to blow the water out of the back of the boat. This creates a “batching” effect at idle, as water moves through the exhaust system.

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roadnsky For This Useful Post:
chapster5 (01-24-2021), GregH (01-17-2022), Sam (01-23-2021), Shrek (01-23-2021), thatch (01-23-2021), TimBSmith (01-23-2021)
  #9   IP: 64.180.151.88
Old 01-23-2021, 03:43 PM

Thanks for a great explanation

Thanks rodnsky for this very well detailed procedure.

I will use this method as soon as I can get through the border one day - hopefully before this summer.

I am beginning to tire of the people who are not following our governments recommendations not to travel. Some people have absolutely no common sense at all, and this border closure is wearing thin on me !

over 1 million people travelled over the Christmas/New year holiday period even though we are supposed to be limited to essential travel only.

Looks like the travel and airline companies don't understand this yet and are still campaigning as if it was a normal time in history.

Sorry for the rant - Gordon

Thanks so much for your help.
  #10   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 AM
Afourian MVP

My A4 has been laid up for two (non consecutive) seasons over the time I’ve owned it. In each case it had been winterized with fogging oil, stabilized fuel, and a few shots of Marvel in each cylinder.

My procedure for restarting: turn the key, press the starter, crank for a few extra seconds, and prepare apologies for those nearby offended by a bit of blue smoke as the MMO cleared and the A4 roared to life.

The only difference: the exhaust smelled a little...musty?...from the old fuel. I burned the tank down as far as possible before adding fresh (stabilized) fuel.

So: no big deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to tenders For This Useful Post:
Shrek (01-17-2022)
  #11   IP: 50.98.109.109
Old 01-17-2022, 11:16 AM

Non starter.

Well, we couldn't get more than a click from the solenoid and the batteries are good, but 6-7 years old. I got my marina mechanic onto it and they have removed the starter and are requesting permission to do a rebuild or replace it with a rebuilt starter. My question is this - the starter was replaced in 2015 and used for 4 seasons and then due to Covid has been out of use for 2 seasons. The boat was last started in April last year and had its spring seasonal underbody clean and a bent prop blade repaired. I am wondering if this is a premature failure, and if so why ? Is it possible that the wrong starter is being used? My A4 has a walter v-drive and has its oil fill tube on the gearbox top plate at the rear of the engine, which I call the front as it is facing in that direction. I have the thermostat housing in the front right corner at the top of the engine, above the flywheel. I understand that the flywheels have 2 different tooth sizes and I am wondering if after running for 4 years, is it possible to have done that with the wrong starter. Last season, over 2 years ago, we did find that we had to lightly tap with a hammer a couple of times and assumed we simply had a jammed starter. 4 seasons of light use doesn't seem like a very long life for a starter motor. In my whole life I have never had to change a vehicle starter motor and that's ober 50 years of car ownership.! How would I know for sure if my starter and flywheel are compatible? I believe I have the Delco starter motor.
  #12   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 01-17-2022, 12:26 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
I got my marina mechanic onto it and they have removed the starter and are requesting permission to do a rebuild or replace it with a rebuilt starter.
Now that you have professionals involved, before giving them permission for anything the question must be asked, "Will this solve the problem or are you guessing?" Guessing on your dime I might add. They're the professionals, they should have the answer. If they don't, that's a red flag.

This could be as simple as a bad battery cable connection, positive OR negative and it's very easy to test. Have a guy with a voltage tester at the engine, positive probe on the big solenoid post where the battery cable connects, negative on the engine block and another guy try to start:
  1. Meter voltage significantly drops = battery supply problem including cables
  2. Meter voltage does not drop = solenoid or starter problem
If #2, repeat the test with the positive probe on the starter post (after the solenoid), negative probe as before:
  • Meter voltage significantly drops = solenoid problem
  • Meter voltage does not drop = starter problem

If these tests take more than 10 minutes someone is sleeping on the job.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (01-17-2022), Sam (01-17-2022), Shrek (01-17-2022)
  #13   IP: 162.245.50.230
Old 01-17-2022, 12:46 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
As Neil said be sure first. If the starter was engaging and not making terrible noises it was the correct gear. I have seen batteries at 12.5 at rest not even light a light bulb. A "broken" battery can check fine for voltage but as soon as power is needed it opens up inside and gives nothing.

Having to tap the starter or solenoid is a good indication of a weak signal to the solenoid and or a failing solenoid not the starter itself. Also not being used when in a marine environment can easily gum up a solenoid from rust inside.

Careful of marine mechanics they're hungry this time of year.

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
Shrek (01-17-2022)
  #14   IP: 50.98.109.109
Old 01-17-2022, 01:05 PM

Thank you to Neil and Dave for the replies above. I had given permission to do up to 2 hrs of troubleshooting and received a repair estimate to rebuild mine or replace the starter with a rebuilt unit. Not sure which option yet and awaiting clarification. However, as our batteries are 6-7 years old now, we decided to replace them anyway, with brand new agm batteries, and went with 2 deep cycle batteries, as the A4 does not need a starting battery due to its small size and low compression. That said, we use a 1/2/both switch and will still reserve one of the batteries for starting only. We use conditioning chargers when on shore power and will be testing the old batteries on a load tester, before deciding on their future. Funny thing was, we went down to the boat yesterday and changed out the batteries, and didn't even get a click this time from the solenoid. On removing the companionway stairs, we immediately found the reason - They have already removed the starter motor and safely isolated the connecting cable from the battery. (phew) So we are now awaiting a phone call to find out if they are planning to rebuild my starter or to replace the entire unit with a newly rebuilt one, and we are thinking if they go that route we will forego the core charge and get the old one rebuilt and keep it as a spare. I will be asking them, during the phone call if they already did all of the tests mentioned by Dave and Neil, and thanks again for all of this great advice. Up here we don't have Great Whites, we have mechanics !

Last edited by Shrek; 01-17-2022 at 01:07 PM.
  #15   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 01-17-2022, 01:11 PM
Afourian MVP

What happens if - on their advice - the starter is rebuilt or replaced and the problem is not solved? Are they willing to stand behind their diagnosis?
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Shrek (01-17-2022)
  #16   IP: 50.98.109.109
Old 01-17-2022, 01:16 PM

This question will also be asked during the phone call. Thanks for this suggestion.
  #17   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 01-17-2022, 03:37 PM
Afourian MVP

If a rebuild or replacement is decided be sure they preserve ignition protection integrity.
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Peter (01-18-2022)