Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 50.68.205.12
Old 05-31-2023, 01:09 PM

New A4 owner trying to figure out where to start

Hello there folks!

I'm a new A4 owner and also new to boat engines or engines altogether, so any help is a great help.
I'm guessing the engine has a few different issues but I don't know how related they are to each other or where to start.

The engine overheats quickly when in gear and reaches 240 if ran for more than 10 minutes, even just idling forward. So I checked the through hull, and hose to the water pump, changed the impeller, cleaned the thermostat housing (it was full of gunk and rust), and cleaned the hoses from the engine to the exhaust pipe.
Still low water flow and quickly rising temperatures.
Next, I'll try a barnacle buster flush.

Aside from the overheating, I notice a ticking sound and noises that I think weren't supposed to be around. It's like a "tac tac tac, tac tac tac" sound.
But again, I know nothing about how A4s should sound. lol

Another issue is high oil pressure. It pegs on 80 and after the engine warms up it drops to 40 but almost never below that.
I did an oil change with 10w30 but still the same.
Just in case I replaced the oil-sending unit and gauge, but still the same.
And lastly, judging by the sound I hear other A4 engines I see on youtube make when idling, my seems to be a bit high. But since the tachometer was not working and I just replaced it with a new Faria one. I still need to make sure the readings on the tach are right, so I don't know the RPMs of the engine for sure.

As you all can see, I have quite a road ahead of me but I'm determined to make this engine run as smoothly as possible. Lol

In the video, the engine idling in forward gear (it sounds better when in gear)
https://youtube.com/shorts/ehH97Lu9xOU?feature=share

Thank you all!!

Tags
oil pressure, overheating, raw water cooled, rpm