Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Catalina

#1   IP: 199.68.38.6
Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Catalina 30 Engine Compartment Preparation

I have a 1978 C30 (hull 987); attached is my approach to engine compartment maintenance in preparation for engine replacement. This was kind of the second step of engine replacement.

I hope this is useful to others - I gathered the ideas employed from numerous other discussions.

Always open to hearing of better ways.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Cat30Hull987Refit PrepEngComp.pdf (745.7 KB, 1888 views)
  #2   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Very nice work Russell, you'll have a real gem of a boat when you're done. I also admire your documentation during the process, one of my passions. What other restorations are you doing?

I have two comments on the engine installation:
  • It's always fun to spend other people's money so this would be a great time to convert to fresh water cooling. I see your boating is in fresh water (although I wonder how fresh Lake Erie really is). The benefits of rust inhibitors in anti-freeze and the higher engine running temperature are definite pluses. The recent development of electric FWC lends itself well to the Catalina 30.
  • For future clarity I noticed the plug wire labels are numbered backwards. #1 is at the flywheel end. It's just the labels, the wires are correct. Many threads on this site refer to cylinder numbers and I thought you might want to be in synch.
I foresee pinup of the month status in your future although I think you have a real advantage by starting with new Moyer engine. I'm jealous.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #3   IP: 199.68.38.6
Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Neill,

Thanks for the feedback.

I think you, and others, already convinced me regarding FWC in response to an earlier question. I have already obtaine dthe following in support of the new engine:

(1) Indigo prop

(2) Indigo electric FWC

(3) Indigo external oil filter

(4) Indigo PCV valve

(5) Racor fuel filter/water separator

(6) The (world famous) Dutton tensioning arm

Would you say this pretty well covers things?

I am in Erie, Pennsylvania, which is right about in the middle of Lake Erie. Despite all of the damage done to the lake by overfishing in the late 1800's and early 1900's, unbelievable amounts of industrial pollution up until the 1980's, and pretty much total disregard of the condition of the lake until the 1970's, the lake today is absolutely beautiful. Once you leave all the aquatic growth near shore, the water is clear and bright (water is clear everywhere in the spring before all the plants start growing). There is now a thriving sport fishing industry. I fish for Lake Erie perch (limit of 30 per person per day) - a fine meal. Some sturgeon have even been observed.

I have been to southern California a number of times, and Lake Erie does not compare to the ocean around there. Nonetheless, it is a great place to be out a boat.
  #4   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Now yer talkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL View Post
(6) The (world famous) Dutton tensioning arm

Would you say this pretty well covers things?
With that item alone I can tell we are dealing with a member of superior intellect and breeding :. I think you've got it covered, should result in a superior installation and hopefully many years of reliable service. Now over to your fuel tank thread to see what has transpired today.

Out.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others