X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GraceSea
    • Mar 2020

More Rear Oil Seal - Coupler Removal Issues

I am trying to replace the rear oil seal on my A-4/Columbia 28 Mk1 (or tighten the lock nut as noted in Don's video (there is a bit of fore and aft play in the shaft)). I have an unusual coupler (damper)?, as shown in the attached photos. I removed the two set screws in the rear portion, but the coupler will not budge. Work space is VERY tight, and trying while in the water.

Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1317 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	206170

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	206171
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Remove the 3 big bolts holding the coupling to the transmission flange. The coupling and shaft should slide back.
    This will expose a large nut holding the transmission flange in place. Remove the nut, lock washer, and the flange.
    You'll be left with two flanges against the gear box. Remove the 6 bolts and the first flange, which carries the oil seal. Don't mess with the second flange unless you want to replace the bearing.

Comment

• Grappler
      Frequent Contributor
      • Apr 2015

I had to remove the direct drive coupling and rear oil seal retainer from my “new” A4 yesterday.

I watched a YouTube video of Don Moyer explaining how to do it, and that helped.
      Here’s the link:

When I got to the part where Don used a special tool to keep the oil seal retainer from turning while removing the 1 1/8” nut, I used his suggestion to use a pipe wrench instead. But I had to get a 24 inch pipe wrench, which just barely had enough jaw opening to grip the 3.5” diameter coupling.

When I got to the part where Don used 3/8” fine thread bolts to pull the coupler off, the only bolts I could find were too short to do the job. And I did not have the other special custom tool he used to do it. So I bought a cheap 4” gear puller from Menards, and that pulled the coupler off.
      sigpic
      Craig Wiklund
      Allegro (Columbia 36), Red Cliff, WI
      Nansen (Chrysler 26), Bloomington, MN

Comment

Working...
      X