• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cowlum
    • Aug 2020

Piston anomoly

Hi

The attached jpg is a periscope photo taken of my number 4 piston after the engine has been sitting for a day.

Questions:
    1: What is the screw head like thing in the center?
    2: Do the stamped markings mean anything to anyone?
    3: Where does the fluid come from? Its not present in the other cylinders.

Regarding question 3. With the flathead design oil wont seep into the cylinders through gravity while at rest, so my best guess is its unburnt additives I've added to my fuel. Seems a lot though and the engine runs great. Number 4 has the lowest compression of all 4 but only by about 5%.

Thanks
    Attached Files
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

#1 That is the "center hole" for machining and grinding the piston, IE just a dimple.

#2 The stamped numbers are part numbers.

#3 The fluid is probably water. Water will break up the carbon deposits during combustion.

Do you shut off the water valve? Could be back-flow from the exhaust or a minor leak in the head gasket which may be the compression loss. Water can also seep in through a crack, has the engine overheated recently?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Most A4s slope aft and if any water back up the exhaust, it ends up in #4 first.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

The engine that I removed from the boat 3 weeks ago had one piston with that mark. It was number 1 cylinder, the high end of the engine on my boat. The other 3 cylinders didn't have anything like that. It did have minor pitting on the other 3 cylinders that I think happened the year prior to me buying the boat. I bought it in 2007 and all the valves were seized, the manifold was broke open from frost etc etc....I looked at that hole with a light and it was almost like it was a machining set.
        Last edited by Mo; 10-27-2020, 07:02 PM.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• cowlum
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
          #1 That is the "center hole" for machining and grinding the piston, IE just a dimple.

#2 The stamped numbers are part numbers.

#3 The fluid is probably water. Water will break up the carbon deposits during combustion.

Do you shut off the water valve? Could be back-flow from the exhaust or a minor leak in the head gasket which may be the compression loss. Water can also seep in through a crack, has the engine overheated recently?

Dave Neptune
          I have a raw water strainer that I unscrew breaking suction to the pump, I then wait for the last big gush of water out the exhaust before shutting the engine down. Usually takes about 30 seconds. Then I shut the water valve.

The valve seat area is always dry as a bone.

Thinking it may be a head gasket leak now.

I should take more pictures overtime and see how it goes.
          Last edited by cowlum; 10-27-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

It most likely is the head-gasket and perhaps another compression check will expose it.

Another possibility for water incursion and the engine still running could be the intake manifold is rusting through which is an easy check. Both are not uncommon.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• cowlum
              • Aug 2020

I ran the engine for 15 minutes, in gear attached to the doc at 1400 rpm.
              The fluid remained in the cylinder. I checked the other cylinders and they too had liquid, though less of it.
              Is it possible its marvel oil from the gasoline that isn't being burnt off? Or oil from my compression test a month ago, which would be about 2 hours runtime ago? My engine runs quite cool.
              She starts easily and runs perfectly. The spark plugs are a little sooty but clean on the electrode tips.

On another note: I dont suppose theres enough numbers showing on the piston to suggest any history for the engine? Factory originals? rebuild etc?
              Last edited by cowlum; 10-27-2020, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Cooling system pressure test:
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• jcwright
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jul 2012

Cowlum,

The markings that are visible on your piston match those on mine, which are original parts. Here is a link to a photo:

This does not rule out a previous overhaul of your engine. For example, the original pistons might have been OK, and only rings replaced.

Jack.

Comment

• TimBSmith
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Aug 2020

JC what do the registration markings on your pistons reference?

Do you have a larger album from an overhaul or rebuild would love to see. Thank you. Stay well. Tim
                    Tim Smith
                    Oasis
                    Pearson 30
                    1974, Number 572
                    Boston, MA USA

Comment

• Surcouf
                      • May 2018

mine
                      Surcouf
                      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• jcwright
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jul 2012

Tim,

Here are my notes on my overhaul:

My notes merely describe what I did, not how it should be done. Some people on another forum were (oddly) upset that I did more work and spent more money than I should have. Somewhere near the end I comment on things I would do differently 'next time'.

Hope this helps some. Good luck with your A4.

Jack.

Comment

• jcwright
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jul 2012

Tim,

I forgot to answer your question about the numbers stamped on the piston:

One of the numbers is "2.56055". My average cylinder bore measurement was 2.563. The standard cylinder bore in the MMI manual is 2.562. So, the stamp on the piston appears to be its diameter.

The large "2" in my photo is the piston number/position, and the "Front" arrow indicates direction of installation (though "Front" is not what I first thought).

I can't explain the remaining number on the piston ("2.60999"). Perhaps others know.

Hope this helps.

Jack.

Comment

• TimBSmith
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Aug 2020

Jack, thumbing through notes. Awesome documentation.

Registration notes on markup on piston helpful. Thank you for follow-up.

Favorite note so far in your discussion of rebuild or buy economics..

"An unexpected benefit was appreciating all the tools
                            I’d inherited from my father, each one of which—right down to the smallest wrench and socket—he’d
                            engraved with his initials decades ago."

Priceless.

Stay well, Tim
                            Last edited by TimBSmith; 10-28-2020, 10:33 AM. Reason: discovery.
                            Tim Smith
                            Oasis
                            Pearson 30
                            1974, Number 572
                            Boston, MA USA

Comment

• jcwright
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Jul 2012

Which reminds me--my dad engraved all of his tools with an engraving tool that I gave him for Christmas, I would guess when I was about 10 or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X