Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 98.102.172.66
Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 PM

A4 Carburetor Linkage

Hi all,
I have an Ericson 29 with an Atomic 4 (obviously) and I just replaced the fuel pump with an electric along with a brand new carburetor. I thought I was liking it up exactly like the old one--but low and behold--now the throttle is reversed. Pulling back on the handle increases the engine speed--where before I pushed the lever forward for more rpm. Now I inspect the old carb and see that the PO had an extension added to the lever. So now I need to either relearn the cockpit throttle lever direction or somehow attach an extension to the existing carb lever. Does anyone know why Ericson seemed to cobble up a non-standard cable arrangement? Any ideas on how to attach such an extension (the access to the carb is almost prohibitive of doing something fancy--as it would require me removing the entire hot system and fuel pump and carb). It would be easier to teach my brain to adapt (afterall I am dyslexic anyway!).
Rogers, Arkansas

Last edited by gmilburn; 06-11-2013 at 07:41 AM.
  #2   IP: 96.229.18.9
Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Lightbulb Switch?

You should be able to just switch out the old linkage. Push or pull depends on top or bottom as far as direction at the other end.

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 74.78.29.32
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 PM

I agree

I agree with Dave. Unless you can re-route your throttle cable to come from the other direction, you should be able to swop out the new throttle lever on the carb for the old one.

Remove the carb. The butterfly valve on the top of the carb is held on to the lever shaft with 2 small screws with washers. Remove the screws and the lever will slide out (the lever shaft that goes through the middle of the carb has a flat side the support the butterfly valve- otherwise you could just reverse it).

Don

Tags
carburator, throttle