• Show
Clear All
  • kevin d
    • May 2007

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
    My first two thoughts were :

- Sticking valve
    - Distributor advance weights
    Thanks Ed, would MMO help with the sticking valve if that is the case? Also, I'm not very familiar with the distributor advance weights. What should I be looking for? Or how would I isolate the issue to them?

Comment

• kevin d
      • May 2007

Quick questions...

Can someone describe the easiest way to set the ignition timing?

And what is the best way to check if the mechanical fuel pump is working properly?

Thanks

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

Yes, some MMO in the oil (up to one quart!) and some MMO squirted into each cylinder after each use (or as often as possible) so it can soak between uses is the usual course of treatment for a stuck/sticky valve.

The advance weights and the springs that control them are located in the distributor, underneath the breaker plate. If they get stuck out, that would result in excessive advance which could cause "pinging" and poor running.
        Easiest way to evaluate them is to just open the distributor and remove the breaker plate and examine them for smooth operation and no broken springs.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2007

This may answer your timing question. http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...ghlight=timing Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• kevin d
            • May 2007

Thanks Dan and Ed!

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by tartansailboat View Post
              Hanley, there are so many pressure gauges listed in the McMaster link, could you be more specific and tell me which one you used? Also, is this gauge plumbed into the fuel line with a tee as would be for a gas pressure gauge? Or in line, like a flow meter gauge? Did you mount your gauge on the output of the fuel pump, or on the input to the carb or in the middle of the fuel line (rubber or copper line)?

Thanks, Herb
              Right at the "G" spot:
              Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• seabreeone
                • Sep 2011

Clicking

I had an issue like this last year. I tried everything. It turned out to be #4 valve would stick at high RPM'S, At low R's it would free up. I had just the right amount of carbon and varnish on the stem to hang it up.I had to remove the head reem the guide and then I put in the after market valve springs. They are taller and stiffer.Runs well now

Comment

• Sony2000
                  • Dec 2011

I fully agree with seabreeone, but if the power loss is greater than just running on three cylinders, then I would look for fuel starvation.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Whenever a problem like this develops the first thing I do is check the basics: timing, both initial and centrifugal, dwell (even with EI), compression (though such test may not detect weak valve spring), cleanliness and viscosity of oil and engine running temp (both of which can influence valve guides) and valve lifter clearances. Before going too far afield make sure the above are on spec. Because I believe in continuous diagnosis I have added fuel pressure gauge and air/fuel ratio gauges. If things are not allowed to go off spec problems are rare.

Comment

• kevin d
                      • May 2007

I think the first thing I'm going to do is rule out 'electrical' issues.

I'm planning to check timing, coil, spark plugs/wires, quick inspection of DC wiring, etc.

I may do an oil change, recheck the idle mixture and will inspect the fuel lines and gas tank vent.

Thanks for all your help....any other quick (do first) suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X