• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by northchannelsailor View Post
    It has occurred to me after looking at this kind of job, what likely was the cause of the cracked oil pan. I can imagine a pry bar being slipped under the engine in either the installation or in the shaft alignment. Looking closely at the pan I see a gouge where the crack is. FYI don’t pry your engine into place with metal bar!

[ATTACH]15439[/ATTACH]
    I wonder if this is why mine had a huge crack and 1/8" displacement upwards! I couldn't understand how water freezing could do that and the rest of the engine so far is fine. It was on the engine that came with the boat that I'm now rebuilding (with a "new" oil pan)
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic

Comment

• northchannelsailor
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by GregH View Post
      I wonder if this is why mine had a huge crack and 1/8" displacement upwards! I couldn't understand how water freezing could do that and the rest of the engine so far is fine. It was on the engine that came with the boat that I'm now rebuilding (with a "new" oil pan)
      Reality was defying logic starring at four litres of oil in my bilge. There was absolutely no reason it should be there lol. The crack was not visible until the engine was pulled. Very unlikely to have this happen but some of us have all the luck.

Comment

• GregH
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by northchannelsailor View Post
        Reality was defying logic starring at four litres of oil in my bilge. There was absolutely no reason it should be there lol. The crack was not visible until the engine was pulled. Very unlikely to have this happen but some of us have all the luck.
        Very much a Sherlock Holmes moment.
        Greg
        1975 Alberg 30
        sigpic

Comment

• Jim.B.MacK
          • Sep 2020

Excellent thread super interesting great that it is resolved!
          Congrats!

Jim
          Well loved 1978 C&C 34!

Comment

Working...
          X