Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 66.158.76.254
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Update - Engaging Forward Gear

Since I find it helpful to search the forum when I'm looking for a solution, I wanted to go back to my previous problem and provide an update to close the loop.

First the Problem/Exchanges:
---
Forward/Transmission/Gear Control & Cable Replacement?

I too am interested in fixing the problem I'm having with keeping the shift holding in forward or reverse. I think I need a new cable or connection or entire throttle or... not sure.

And not sure if this forum is the right place either. Anyone offer any experience for us?

'68 Pearson Wanderer, A4, often it will slip out of gear while engaged. Mostly in forward. (At least I think so - can anyone really justify going backward for more than 5 seconds anyway?)

It seems that when I move the direct lever - while in the engine compartment - it will sort of 'drop' into gear rather definitively, and stay there. It's just hard to steer while on my knees in the galley bent over the plugs.

Anyway, with that added condition I don't think I need the fix mentioned in the "Forward Mode Adjusting Procedure". I mean, it WILL work nicely if you use the lever directly from the engine, and at various RPM too.

Which leads me to the cable and/or lever in the cockpit. I'm guessing I just don't have enough 'carry' or movement in the shift/cable I have now. (Sorry to be so remedial, but I'm trying to provide enough detail that will generate a response.)

This problem has been going on for a while now. I removed the shift and took it apart - fascinating mess inside. It worked a bit better but didn't really resolve this issue. Just don't know what else to do - or if the A4 forum is the right audience.

Would photos help? Is 40 years too much for a control like this? Is it time to replace? With what? (And therefore, back to the question in the previous post.)

Many thanks,

MD

(Reply from Don, aka, the important part)

MD,

I believe we have enough information to agree with you that your problem is in the ship's cable system and not in your engine's reversing gear adjustment.

The most important advise we can give you at this point (other than to continue trying to discover and correct the problem within your cable system) is to resist the urge to somehow hold the cockpit lever in forward with the reversing gear itself not fully engaged in the forward latching mode. Holding the lever "against" forward but not "engaged" in forward puts a constant side load on the ball bearing of the operating cone which will greatly shorten its useful life span. Operating cones (and their bearings) are increasingly difficult for us to keep in stock, so it behooves us to take good care of them.

Don

From Tomahawk, WI:

Domagami, I have a 66 pearson coaster--fixed keel version of the wanderer--and had a problem with my shifter that sounds like the one you are having. The carrier-sheath for the shift cable must be immobile (fastened to a bulkhead or something solid) so the cable end can achieve its maximum travel and exert enough pressure on the shift lever to shift a properly adjusted forward gear.
My cable appeared to work, but did not 'carry' far enough. The "engine" end of the carrier-sheath was no longer fastened solidly to the hull. Of course, that end of the carrier sheath was under the gas tank and almost impossible to get at. It only took 3 different attempts, a lot of loud mumbling, and about a quart of blood to figure it out and fix it. But it does work very well now.

Good Luck,
Mike
1966 Pearson Coaster, Nimue

Thank you Don and Mike for your quick replies.

Don, I had read in other posts your caution about holding the shift in place - thus my current attention to this issue. (To me) it was not an obvious problem, so I'm glad to have stumbled over this in reading about those with similar issues.

I think your description - and Don's - were clear and I think you are right, I just need to further immobilize that backing plate and/or the cable sheath. It's possible they both are providing just enough play to prevent the needed movement in the cable.

----

The Solution:

The issue was, as suggested, not in the A4 section, but instead in the lever mechanism in the cockpit.

I installed a longer, more sturdy backing plate with epoxy in the locker - then took the shift apart again. The issue was that the mounting bolts were slowly shearing off because they did not properly clear the inside of the mechanism as you try to engage forward. I still have a nice hole in my fingernail as part of my effort to drill a countersink for the heads of the new bolts into that solid brass insert.

Once reassembled and installed it worked perfectly. Now I can stop worrying about damaging the bearings in the operating cone.

Thanks again to Mike and Don.

Best,

MD
  #2   IP: 24.61.219.184
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM

I think I know what you are asking... so here goes. I just repolaced my original Morse cable on my boat. Prior to this year it was gettiong more difficult to find neutral, really feel the forweard engagement, and I could hear the reverse. When shift linkage goes it throws off the entire feeling and response from the A 4.

If manually shifting the A4 into forward you feel the detent then you are mostly there is solving your problem. Replace your linkage... Teleflex Morse cables are not that expensive by themselves... the lever part may be more, or perhaps you can adapt your current lever system.

Once you have the new cable installed the final adjustment to the forward and reverse gearing on the A4 is straight forward, especially if you have Don's manual.

Pictures would help us help you.

David