Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 142.68.203.27
Old 06-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Question Carb Identity

Hi, I just the other day put the manifold back on my engine, which included putting the carb back onto the manifold. While I had the carb off, I had taken the cup off the carb and cleaned it out. When putting everything back together I ended up with severe leaking around the cup where it fits to the carb. Clearly the gasket was shot. I attempted to locate one but to no avail. I then went to the owners manual that I have from Moyers, and went to look up some info on the carb. Lo and behold, neither the old version of the engine, nor the new had a carb quite like mine. Neither has a cup on the bottom of the carb. The gasket for it is a 2" gasket, and the cup is held on with a "wire" strap that goes down around the cup once it is in place, and then you finger tighten a "wheel" in order to hold the cup in place. Now I realize my explanation here reveals my utter lack of mechanical knowledge, but hopefully someone will be able to identify the type of carb. I have, and the availability of a gasket. Unfortunately, the fact that this "cup" leaked so badly has me concerned that this is a weak point, that could possibly cause a fire if things are not "just right". I would appreciate any comments, particularly about the potential fire hazard. Thanks, Scott
  #2   IP: 38.118.53.88
Old 06-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Scott,

The "cup" that you're describing below the carburetor and attached with a "wire strap and wheel" to tighten the assembly, is undoubtedly the sediment bowl that is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump.

If I'm correct, you can find a new stainless sediment bowl in our online catalog with a product number of FPMP_12.1_339. If your wire and wheel (normally referred to as a "bail" is not in usable condition, you can find one in the online catalog directly above the sediment bowl. If both the bowl and bail are OK, you may just need a new washer which is shown just above the bowl and the bail.

In many cases, the upper housing of the fuel pump (where the top of the bowl seals) is bowed downward to the point that the bowl can rock fore and aft a bit. If this is the case, it will be very difficult to get a sediment bowl to seal, even with a new washer. In a worst case scenario, you may have to replace the pump.

Best regards,

Don Moyer
  #3   IP: 142.68.203.27
Old 06-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

Question Carb options

Hi Don,
I was wondering, since I find that I am not overly happy with the sediment bowl arrangement on the mechanical fuel pump, what are my options in changing the fuel pump to a different arrangement such as an electrical pump, and eliminating the mechanical pump (and sediment bowl) altogether?
Thanks, S cott