X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

I concur. Get some MMO poured into every cylinder and let it set a few days. Then get a breaker bar on the front power take-off and start trying to wiggle it alternately CW and CCW. Repeat this every day or two until you get some movement. If it's just seized up in the cylinders, it WILL come free, it'll just take some time.

You can make a tool to go over the front power take-off by sacrificing a large 1/2" socket and either cutting two notches in it, or welding a short section of pipe onto it with two notches cut into that.

Or just buy the timing crank from MMI

Of course, this all assumes you have enough clearance to get at the flywheel end of the engine.

@(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• pjf
      • Oct 2013

Thank you Gentlemen. I bought some Penetrating oil called Engine Release...will pull the plugs and give it a try. If not that then the MMO and try some more. Problem with that engine placement is access to the flywheel cover area. May have to pull the starter and try the flywheel from that end. Was looking if I could use a junk starter and put a 1/2 wrench on that. If still won't move then it is a new post and cabin disassembly time.
      DVD. Would be interested in your rig setup once I get the A4 running.
      Thanks again!

Comment

• dvd
        • Dec 2008

PJF

When get to that point let me know and I give you what advice I have on the Cal 3-30

dvd

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Dogfish~sidebar

Dogfish, the C-46 is my dream cruising boat. I liked them from the first time a sailed one, lots of room and storage for a boat that motors like a trawler and sails like a sailboat as all of Lapworth's boats do. Do you still have the boat on the hard and is it a ketch rig?
          I had a friend that was a cabinet/custom furniture maker who bought a "kit boat" from Jensen way back when. He finished the interior and set it up for 4 and you could make up a few extra bunks in the "house" if need be. The best thing he did was instead of the stock Perkins he put in the same engine but with the larger injector and turbo which was available at the time, I think it was a 160 HP. Anyway he could cruise all day on the same fuel numbers as any other C-46 but if he was in a hurry at WOT she'd do 12 knots. I can remember motoring by some Grand Banks and other trawlers checking us out with their jaws dropped.
          I also had the chance to meet and spend a couple of days cruising with Bill Lapworth on a Caribean trip. It was a charter deal and the ironic thing was that the all of the boats being chartered were O'days even his and my wife and I got the literally the last Cal in the fleet. In fact ours was the last charter for that boat as it went back to Florida after our trip. We got a Cal 39 and he was in one of the O'day 37 CC models.. We met as our boat needed a bit of repair and I had a hangover extrodinaire so we wound up not leaving with the 7 others boats in our group. I was in the bar with my head on the table and Bill and I began chatting, a really nice fellow. He offered to by me a drink and I said I'll take a coffee. After a bit of conversation we introduced our selves. I did it first and he got a real kick out of my last name and then I was floored when Bill said his name was Bill Lapworth. We sailed out at night a big no no in the area and stayed in the same bays for the first two nights. Had a good deal of fun with him. He sailed on the Antiga and we sailed the BVI.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
          X