X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surcouf
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2018

So, without the proper tools, hard to do a good job. I have a rather cheap multimeter; not the dirt cheap one, but not a Fluke neither... So I cannot go below 1 ohm precision. But my coil is showing as a 4.? ohm. I am going to treat myself with a proper Fluke multimeter, unless you guys have a recommendation for another serious multimeter

Now on the voltage: running with moderate rpm, batteries fully charged, alternator excited, I read:
    - alternator pos to ground: 14.5V
    - coil pos to ground 14.4V
    - voltage between coil positive and negative: 6.6V

So questions:
    - on my coil negative, I only have the Electronic ignition wire. Is that normal? Should the coil negative be wired to ground? ((Neil's drawing show no ground on his E-3))
    - is having a 4 ohm coil mean that I do not need to install that resistor on the positive wire to the coil?

Thank you !!
    Last edited by Surcouf; 06-01-2020, 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
    Surcouf
    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Most importantly and capitalized for emphasis, THE NEGATIVE POST ON THE COIL IS NOT A GROUND AND SHOULD NOT, NEVER, EVER BE CONNECTED TO A GROUND!!!

It is a switched ground directly from the points or EI. When switched on the coil charges up (and heats up), at the instant it is switched off the induced charge stored inside the coil is dumped. The only wires attached to the - post are from the points/EI and if you have one, possibly a tachometer trigger. That's it, nothing else.

At 4.x ohms for the coil and 14.3 V input your current is no greater than 3.75 amps, well under the 4 amp maximum so you're good to go without additional resistance.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Surcouf
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2018

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        Most importantly and capitalized for emphasis, THE NEGATIVE POST ON THE COIL IS NOT A GROUND AND SHOULD NOT, NEVER, EVER BE CONNECTED TO A GROUND!!!

It is a switched ground directly from the points or EI. When switched on the coil charges up (and heats up), at the instant it is switched off the induced charge stored inside the coil is dumped.
        Sometimes I wonder how I can even ask that question! as soon as I read your explanation, my brain finally switches to what the old point system actually does, and how a negative coil wired to ground would just defeat the whole purpose. This was a hell of a stupid question

Thank you Neil!
        Surcouf
        A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
          This was a hell of a stupid question
          Not at all. For some reason ignition seems to be the most confusing, confounding, perplexing and intimidating system on our engine and your question provides an opportunity to reiterate its function for others who read this thread now and in the future.

No worries whatsoever.

By the way, I'm particularly enamored with an Ames tester from Harbor Freight Tools. It has all the normal functions and impressive accuracy but also is one of the few that measures DC amps via a Gauss clamp. At $90.00 it gives a lot of bang for the buck.
          Amazing deals on this 600 A T-Rms Ac/Dc Clamp Meter at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.
          Last edited by ndutton; 06-01-2020, 09:23 AM.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

I like the Blue Sea 8110 because it has a clamp-on current probe which I find very useful on the boat.

Compact and feature-rich AC/DC Multimeter eases diagnosis of marine electrical problems.

Available on Amazon for just under $150

@(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

The thread that keeps on giving! Hope OP Kelly is doing well over there in France!
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X