Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Overhaul

#26   IP: 69.118.236.222
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Afourian MVP

Good idea...but boats with V-drives have their A4's installed "backwards" (flywheel aft) so this would be incorrect!
  #27   IP: 142.68.125.201
Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat 64 View Post
"the marine fitment of the piston shall be the reciprocal of accepted norms of terrestrial alignment”
This is my favorite option. Applies to everything else, too.
  #28   IP: 38.102.24.196
Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 PM
MMI Webmaster

Hey Russ:

Over dinner last nite (all right, it was a wine tasting), Don and I got to talking about how pristine your water jacket looked. That led us to wonder whether that might be explained in part by the engine being exposed to extremely cold water. What do you think?

That in turn led us to wonder whether boats in your neck of the woods bother with bottom paint. Do they? What grows?

Eventually, we got around to wondering whether you'd ever heard of the TV series, "The Deadliest Catch." Have you?

Best regards from Lat 39 (give or take),

Bill
  #29   IP: 69.162.192.125
Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Afourian MVP

it's back to "front"

Tenders,
You spoiler you. Ok so now I think they should use quote marks. ie. "front" .
We just have to remember that these are ironic quote marks, say..., like Bill's "dinner".

Rigs,
Yes, when on land you want drive to the shore. At sea you stay away from it.

Bill,
My 1968 boat was first purchased by a doctor in Seattle, sold and came north in '85. I think it has had antifreeze all it's life. They put rust inhibitors and stuff in auto antifreeze and this probably helped. I still broke off all the upper water jacket cover bolts because there was a drip from the deck on the engine right there, and it rusted just one side of the top of the head and slobbered down onto the cover. Cold does have an effect on chemical reaction so I think it may inhibit rust, but we sure still get lots of it. We still get grass and barnacles too, but I'm sure not much is growing right now(see first entry photo).
My boat has some blue antifouling paint (brand?) so it is clean.
The waters here are actually rich and teem with life, it's just cold water. There was a little Contessa 26 here that sat in the harbor for years. It had blades of kelp hanging on it that must have been ten feet long! (It is very nicely restored now)

Yes I've heard of the T.V. show but I have never seen it. I think it's on cable and I'm in the stone age. I just get free broadcast T.V.
About two weeks ago a crew member was lost off a crabber when he got tangled in lines and went overboard. My cousin died the same way. It is dangerous.
I have only worked one summer in the Bristol Bay gill-net salmon fishery. This is a coastal operation in the summer, but it can still get nautical sometimes. I take a healthy respect when I go down to the sea.

But now for something less sobering. Try Black Chook wine from Australia. It's a great twenty-dollar bottle of wine. I can't afford it all the time but it's yummy.
One thin cold water is good for; It makes your bilge nice and cold for beverages

chin chin

Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Last edited by lat 64; 01-17-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: gramar an spellin
  #30   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Afourian MVP

offtopic!

hijack - Russ...do you have your analog to digital converter boxes?

Also, don't say that free broadcast is stone age. My broadcast TV comes in 720P or 1080i HD, over UHF (14-69) & hi-VHF (7-13). My only mistake so far was that I bought a special high-gain UHF antenna for channels 14-83, and I did not get a VHF band antenna or hybrid antenna. I hadn't read the fine print that some local D.C. channels will stay in Hi-VHF after the switch. (7 & 9 to be exact..their current HD feeds which are up in the UHF band somewhere now will move to where the 7 & 9 analog feeds are currently on Feb 17th)

I still have DirecTV, but I don't have to pay lots of $$ for HD content from them. NASCAR, NFL, and most of our 'regular' shows are on network TV, and in HD (at least in the one HDTV I own upstairs..I have two boxes for the other non ATSC TVs using my $40 gov't coupons.
- ok..end hijack.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #31   IP: 69.162.193.240
Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Afourian MVP

this and that

Shawn,
I..er ..um.. yea..ya see it's like this. I have a set of Wall-mart rabbitears feeding the new converter box that feeds the vcr that feeds the old T.v. and the stereo amp. The T.V. sound card got burned up when I accidentally back-fed full signal from the megawatt Akai stereo amp to the sound out put on the T.V.. So now I use the VCR to send the audio signal to the amp and blast the room with some vintage Cerwin Vega speakers. The Akai amplifier speaker power relay clicks off and on sometimes, so then I have to whack it like a bad dog. To watch T.V., we have to turn on four devices with four different remotes. So.. we read a lot.

got to go but I'll give a-4 update tonight,
Russ

Update:
The block is at the machine shop. Ric the machinist grew up on a diet of flatheads and fifties stuff. He will dress the valve seats and run a hone through the guides to clean them up. they are amazingly good after a stuck valve. I think the oil just got all coked up in the guide and grabbed the valve the last time it got too hot.
He confirmed that my main bearing inserts were standard size(my crank is .010" undersize—1.978 inches). we (he) got the accessary drive idler shaft nut off, and found that the bushing and shaft was toast. It was heavily grooved. Talked to ken again and now have that and a few freeze plugs and accessary drive parts coming too.
Now I am already thinking about what color to paint the ol' girl. And a motor like this has to have a name. Motors need love too. I'm thinking Fireball..uh..wait no that's not so good. I'll work on it.
Another week maybe and then parts will be going back on.

Russ

Last edited by lat 64; 01-16-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: edit/update/spellin
  #32   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM

Fireball.... Chevy's "Blue Flame" six just popped into my mind.

I'm going with with a good old fashioned hot rod RED on my next repaint. I've heard mechanics say that red engines run better anyway. Orange is too industrial, white is for fancy new diesels, green is for Volvo Penta's.

One fella painted his black with blue highlights on the raised lettering and silver accesories. Think it had a mural of a mermaid on the transmission cover, too. Now that's pimped out! He probably has red mood lighting in the engine bay to go along with the pimped out paint job.
  #33   IP: 69.162.193.237
Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Afourian MVP

name

I have it!
Li'l Chernobyl
An atomic theme with irony. The promise of a modern age. Cold war technology that was poorly maintained. Naw...

Russ
Attached Images

#34   IP: 99.137.81.92
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM

weather

Here in Northern California it's pretty cold out today. The projected high is 64 degrees but there is plenty of sunshine. Only problem here during the winter is no wind. Wind usually starts coming up in march/april

dvd
  #35   IP: 98.141.38.31
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Oh hell dvd, its 24F here in Norfolk and plenty of wind, 60s would be great! water temp around 5oF, great sailing if you can get in and out of the marina

I have a fouled prop and stuck to the pier.
1970, Northwind 29, #5
  #36   IP: 142.68.99.14
Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Afourian MVP

-23C here this morning (-9F). Unusually cold for us, we're normally just under freezing. Harbour frozen up. Sigh. At least I can concentrate on boat work.
  #37   IP: 69.162.193.253
Old 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Afourian MVP

temp

Man, how'd we get on weather?
But I might as well give an update on the temp up here. The temperature at the airport last week was -40F. This week starting around Tuesday it got up to +40F to +45F. There are some places around town that saw a 90-degree change in about four days. I'm sorry, but we sent you our weather. We were done with it.

I cropped some graphs from a WX station in a place about 20 miles from my house

Russ
Attached Images