X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyiftos
    • Jul 2013

eng. swap. Gas to diesel

What would be the best/easiest diesel eng to fit into a Pearson 30?
    Trying to get a CE certification for Europe/Greece and a gas eng is a no-no!!
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Go here - they will set you up.
    This is the place for all things Beta Marine diesel engines. We have parts, accessories, replacement engines, and more. Check out the inventory today.

Wait - are you sailing to Greece from the USA or are you already there?
    Beta Marine has developed a reputation for providing reliable, quiet and smooth running marine diesel engines and generating sets.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• nyiftos
      • Jul 2013

I am already in Greece. I thank you for the info and I will get in touch.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Keep in mind the direct-drive A4 is running around 20-25 HP at MOST and the small prop is not that efficient. You do not need a 30 HP diesel to equal the thrust you have now. You can go to the 18hp-22hp range and do well with the light and easily driver Pearson 30. I would talk to the North Carolina outfit first. They know A4s and Pearson 30s and the UK people likely have heard of neither one. They should be able to suggest a good engine and mount combo and then take that to the UK distributor. The A4 width mounts may be a USA thing the UK people might not be aware of.
        BTW - I had one and we never sailed that far offshore. Did you sail her to Greece yourself or buy the boat there?
        Here is our old girl:

Only boat we ever bought brand new and the A4 was flawless for as long as we owned her ($16,500 with a spinnaker in 1973)
        Hey - didn't I mail a regulator to Greece one time? Was that you?
        Last edited by joe_db; 08-13-2016, 09:48 AM.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• nyiftos
          • Jul 2013

Hi Joe,
          sorry I did not answer sooner.
          Yes, this is me that you have sent the reg. to. I still owe you one...
          The boat was shipped to Toulon, France and from there we sailed to the island of Crete in Greece. It has been a truly good old boat and the A-4 has never said no, but I have to register in Greece and the paperwork is a big pain.
          When you mention the North Carolina outfit first, what exactly do you mean?
          Thanks

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

This one:
            This is the place for all things Beta Marine diesel engines. We have parts, accessories, replacement engines, and more. Check out the inventory today.

BTW, did the regulator work? I was reminded of that yesterday, I found a 50 amp alternator with no regulator in my shed and was wondering where it went.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• nyiftos
              • Jul 2013

Yes, the reg did work exact and is still working with the alt. I thank you again for that and for the info on the eng. swap. (Gas-Diesel). I will update although it will take some time to start-finish this whole process.

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

nyiftos,
                Too bad on the Greece regulations. I sailed on a Tartan 3000 for MANY years with a Universal M-15 diesel (11HP). It was adequate, but not what I'd call sufficient, no reserve HP when you need it. The Tartan 3000 weighs about 8,000 lbs. A Pearson 30 is about 8,300 lbs.

So, maybe 18 HP diesel would be good, but I second the Beta Marine group for your retrofit. I've talked with them before and they seem like a good group. If I recall most of their blocks are based on a Kubota tractor engine diesel. Can you get Kubota parts in Greece? ?
                Last edited by sastanley; 09-28-2016, 08:25 PM. Reason: typos
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Beta Marine is a UK outfit, so I am sure you can get parts in the EU.

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                  nyiftos,
                  Too bad on the Greece regulations. I sailed on a Tartan 3000 for MANY years with a Universal M-15 diesel (11HP). It was adequate, but not what I'd call sufficient, no reserve HP when you need it. The Tartan 3000 weighs about 8,000 lbs. A Pearson 30 is about 8,300 lbs.

So, maybe 18 HP diesel would be good, but I second the Beta Marine group for your retrofit. I've talked with them before and they seem like a good group. If I recall most of their blocks are based on a Kubota tractor engine diesel. Can you get Kubota parts in Greece? ?
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                  X