Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Pearson

#1   IP: 66.30.144.72
Old 08-13-2015, 03:21 PM

Pearson 30 Instrument Panel Redesign

Hellow fellow A-fourians,
I hope this note finds you well.

I'm planning a project with some parts I bought from MMI and I was hoping that you might be able to give me some advice. I spoke with Ken today and got his opinions and advice. Now it's your turn!

Goal: Have Tach (new), water temp (old), oil pressure (old), volt (new) all in cockpit.
I also have Amps (old) and hour meter (new) that I originally wanted in the cockpit but I am willing to mount them in the cabin if it makes this project drastically simpler. I also want the existing starter button and choke to remain recessed and in a control panel. I want to add an ignition toggle switch and a blower switch so I can start the boat without leaving the cockpit. I would also like to leave room to add the early warning system that MMI sells, however I don't own this yet.

Project options and challenges:

The amps, oil, and warmer temp are already outside.
Name:  IMG_3544.jpg
Views: 2564
Size:  98.4 KB
In the attached photo you can see the existing instrument panel and my new shift/throttle controller. The old throttle has been removed from the center of the old instrument panel and the hole simply taped over.
Name:  IMG_3601.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  100.8 KB
The part of the instrument panel that is now empty (because of the throttle removal) is slanted inward and therefore if I was to reuse that area and surface mount gauges there, they would be angled toward the floor and only easily visible from someone sitting on the opposite side of the boat.
The existing cutout for the existing box is approx 6in wide and 9in tall. Most replacements are shorter that this 9 inches and this is one of my pitfalls.

I will label option A as keeping my existing box (moving the amps from the cockpit to the cabin, replace it with my tach, leave oil and water where they are, add volts and maybe hours to the blank spot that is angled down.

Option B is removing the existing panel and replacing it with another box that is either the same size or slightly larger. I already purchased the MMI box seen here that seems like it would only fit if mounted vertically however it is meant to be mounted horizontally and the plexiglass door hinges are oriented for the that use too. Ken recommended that I not use this enclosure now that I realize it doesn't fit. I could make a frame for it that would take up the gap but i haven't seen pics of a good execution of this idea to use as a guide.
Name:  gauge8.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  48.1 KB
The cutout required for this MMI box is 8x10.5wide, which would leave me with an inch of empty space and raw fiberglass to have to hide. It is also slanted on the long side opposite of the hinge so it will drain and I will loose that feature by mounting portait orientation as opposed to landscape orientation.

Option C is find another box that fits my existing hole better or requires a cutout that is feasible with no gaps to fill. MMI custom orders thier enclosures so i cant just order the next size up. SSI has a box but it is still 1/2 an inch to short for my existing cutout: SSI 12" Panel

Advice and thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!
PassionOne

This photo just shows the new instruments that were temporally mounted inside this spring as a way of just getting the boat into the water.
Name:  IMG_3602.jpg
Views: 2050
Size:  144.2 KB

And a sketch of how it would look when I was fantasizing this winter. However Ken suggested that I should limit it to water temp, oil pressure, Tach and volts for cockpit gauges.
Name:  IMG_3476.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  76.5 KB
  #2   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 08-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
If I were you . . .

I would keep the existing recess and add the smaller of the MMI enclosures to the left for the tach, the EWDS and anything else you want. As for the taped over down-angled portion of the existing recess, what a great place for a downward pointing cockpit light. Move one of the switches to the new enclosure and use the hole for the light switch.

Welcome.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #3   IP: 67.237.231.205
Old 08-14-2015, 03:49 PM

I would make a new panel sized for the existing cutout - or one slightly larger if needed. (Actually, I will do that, when I get around to it, since my PO just started drilling holes in the cockpit to hold extra gauges.)

BTW: I've gone through two of those Isspro hour meters in two years - they don't survive a winter in the cockpit.
The Following User Says Thank You to toddster For This Useful Post:
PassionOne (08-15-2015)
  #4   IP: 108.184.71.212
Old 08-14-2015, 05:06 PM

Again Neil got it just right. The panel you have now is good no problem with the choke or drainage with a little clean up it will look good. Neil's idea about a light would be great and very useful at night. The second panel allows you to set the gauges the way you want. I recommend that you get all the stuff together first so you set it up right. I used 2 of the MOYER panels, one I can't get into because of the shiftier (existing hole) and the other for switches and key and choke. If you still want to modify what you have just get a piece of Plexiglas to mount the panel and cover the hole
  #5   IP: 108.184.71.212
Old 08-15-2015, 11:43 AM

I just went back and looked at your posting and noticed that Ken forgot to recommend a vacuum gauge, you should consider this as it may help you get better MPG. You say you just got a new shiftier?? I have been looking for one just like that with the removable handles and haven't been able to locate one please advise where you got yours and $$$.
THANKS
  #6   IP: 184.0.17.64
Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionOne View Post
...I already purchased the MMI box seen here that seems like it would only fit if mounted vertically however it is meant to be mounted horizontally and the plexiglass door hinges are oriented for the that use too.
I could make a frame for it that would take up the gap but i haven't seen pics of a good execution of this idea to use as a guide.
It is also slanted on the long side opposite of the hinge so it will drain and I will loose that feature by mounting portait orientation as opposed to landscape orientation
What is the reason for not mounting it horizontal?

You CAN mount it vertical if you need to because the door has velcro that secures it. The drain feature WILL work in this orientation too.

I agree you need to consider the Vacuum Gauge.
Mount the Engine Hour Meter in the engine room or near the DC Panel. There's no need to waste that space in the cockpit.
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #7   IP: 184.0.17.64
Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Afourian MVP

FWIW, my TACH is mounted in a separate enclosure for better viewing from the helm.
You may want to also consider that option...
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #8   IP: 173.209.212.214
Old 08-15-2015, 10:01 PM

Unhappy

Thanks for the advice guys!

I will keep the hour meter inside as recommended. This is good to know.

I will need a further explanation of the usefulness of a vacuum gauge before I can consider myself sold on the idea. Please elaborate or link to the definitive vacuum gauge thread so I can educate myself.

Ken advised me that the large MMI box I purchased from them would only drain right if it was oriented horizontally (portrait)

As to why I can't use it, it's the dimensions my existing cutout for the original box I have in there now is 9in high and 6in wide.

The dual engine control shifter (Morse Controls) was purchased for... 50 bucks! Yes, I know how much a new one costs A few weeks ago at Marine Consignment in Fall River, Mass. Check out their website and call each location separately when looking for a specific product. If you are willing to pay shipping I think they will send you an item and refund your money if u send it back because it was the wrong item. 20 minute drive from my house so it's perfect.

I wonder if the measurements work out for two small MMI boxes side by side would work. The restaurant I'm in just turned off the lights so I have to retrain to the boat. I am awaiting a friend and his 11 year old boy from The Bronx. we are going to sail to MV and ride the flying horses. thanks to this forum, we will be doing it confidently and safely atop our A-4

Thanks guys! Keep the ideas coming!
  #9   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 08-15-2015, 10:58 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Isn't he always??

Ken is, of course, right. The auto drain design of the recess only works if mounted horizontally (actually landscape orientation). The smaller enclosure is designed the same. Of course, if you don't mind a little puddle at the bottom of the panel you can mount it any way you like.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 08-15-2015 at 11:16 PM.
  #10   IP: 184.0.17.64
Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
...Of course, if you don't mind a little puddle at the bottom of the panel you can mount it any way you like.
I know Neil probably already spotted this...
But if you look closely at my panel, you'll see it's upside down.
(The WHY is another story)

Yes, after a strong hose-down there is a bit of moisture collected at the bottom but the panel is actually remarkably water "resistant".
I'm only pointing it out in case someone (by necessity) needs to mount the panel in another orientation rather than it's designed position.
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #11   IP: 173.209.212.202
Old 08-18-2015, 06:04 PM

making progress. Thanks for all the suggestions

Roadnsky- why is yours upside down and what is the difference between the two panels you posted in separate pictures. That got me a little confused.

I'm afraid that if I mount the tach up high on the cabin exterior, I will look at it obsessively.

Everyone- if someone has a good suggestion on how to frame the larger of the two MMI panel enclosures in a way that the frame would take up the extra inch of cutout space that I will be left over with, I'm sure to use one of the suggestions. I think I need to figure out how to get that MMI box to fit in and then I should be home free. I do want it to remain recessed so there is one less thing to catch my leg on.

I did look into photo developing pans, but I couldn't figure out which ones would survive the elements especially the sun. There is a huge variety and it feels weird installing something outside that is meant to be kept in a pitch black room.
A white cutting board seems like a good idea but I'm sure you more experienced DIYers can suggest better alternatives.

While I am at it, should I replace my choke cable with a new one from MMI? Mine seems to operate properly but on the stiff side of things. same question for the starter button, it works but I think it's original.

Last edited by PassionOne; 08-18-2015 at 09:08 PM.
  #12   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
While I am at it, should I replace my choke cable with a new one from MMI? Mine seems to operate properly but on the stiff side of things. .
Yes.
The "stiffness" will only become worse over time. Finally you will get a hard start or no start because you won't be strong enough to overcome the stiffness and close the choke all the way.

TRUE GRIT
  #13   IP: 66.91.71.5
Old 08-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Roadnsky- why is yours upside down and what is the difference between the two panels you posted in separate pictures. That got me a little confused.
I was afraid someone would ask.
The pic on the right is my original attempt at mounting the gauges in the panel.
After some time of use, I found it was a bit hard to see the 3 gauges with their orientation "high" on the panel.
So, being cheap and lazy, I decided to just flip the panel upside down.
(The pic on the left)
The gauges are now much easier to see.

Full disclosure:
I received another panel last Christmas.
But, as I said, I'm lazy. Someday...

Quote:
I'm afraid that if I mount the tach up high on the cabin exterior, I will look at it obsessively.
Well, honestly that is NOT really a bad thing.
IMHO, just about every parameter of the engine monitoring is based off of that TACH reading.
JOSO...

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #14   IP: 47.23.15.122
Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM

I ended up with this on my 323

The Waterproof Led's are 90 db piezo alarms I can hear sleeping in the V-BERTH while someone else is at the helm.
Colors are selected for Night Operation.
Red=Oil Pressure
Blue = High Temp
Green = Raw water
The Anodized Aluminum plate should hold up well enough. It's a bit ovesized to cover the pre-existing gauge holes along with an old depth gauge hole.

I COMPLETELY rewired the A4 as well this past winter as well, in fact all of the DC upstream of the Distribution panel. Swapped out the "points" for EI too.
Works like a dream!

"Sub" Ed

Last edited by Sea Haven; 08-19-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Tags
instrument panel, pearson 30