Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 205.188.116.196
Old 11-16-2005, 03:25 PM

Hard to start without "help"

I recently reinstalled my refurbished A4 in my 1966 Pearson Triton and have run into a few problems.

The first problem was attributed to a stubborn electric fuel pump that I later found was sticking. After by-passing the oil pressure switch and some cussing, I was able to give the pump a tap on the housing that freed up the mechanism (it had been sitting idle for over seven months).

The next week, I attempted to start the engine but the pump aparently hadn't gotten over its issues. Thinking that the engine should start, I failed to realize that I had not secured the raw water supply and tried several times to turn the engine over. I finally stopped when I was met with a deluge of water pouring through the carb. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Working quickly with some MMO and WD40, I removed the plugs, cleared the cylinders, took apart the carb and put it all back together inside of ten minutes. I was then able to start the engine and allowed it to run under a light load for over an hour. Disaster averted.

Now here is the issue; The engine is slow to start without the help of some starting fluid, then runs on only the first two cylinders. It then noticibly takes a minute or two before the third and finally the fourth cylinder catches and fires. After nthat, she runs like a sewing machine.

I believe the valves on #'s 3 & 4 are sticking before they warm up and is the cause for the hard start. Am I correct in my way of thinking and if I am, is this going to simply take some time before the engine gets over its issues or is there an immediate fix to solve teh problem.
1966 Pearson Triton #605
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 11-17-2005, 11:30 AM

Great job of remediating your water intrusion!! My guess is that the valves will free up more and more over time. You might continue squirting MMO into those two spark plug holes a few more times.

The hard starting could be nothing more than a choke cable adjustment. Are you sure the choke valve is closing completely after your ten-minute carburetor disassembly and reinstallation?

Don