X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blind navigator
    • May 2008

A4 copper exhaust with vertical standpipe

Too much to fit in here-PM me if you need info on 1) leaks/ cracks in the vertical standpipe exhaust, or horizontal hot section (typical in Pearsons) 2) temporary fix(es) 3) permanent fix including a very skilled welding shop in the Chicago area that does copper TIG welding.

Made it thru a whole season during COVID when local yards said "we can't help you" or "we're too busy to help you" with a kluge fix that might have held for several more years.
    Got advice from Don about replacement systems, including fabricating connections for his stainless muffler, or going with the straight pipe with loop he carries for Catalinas (which sounded the easiest, cheapest, but the loudest).

11 months ago decided to crawl under there, unbolt the standpipe, remove from the boat, and try to get it fixed. I have done welding, but stainless, aluminum, and copper require special skills. Called around and lucked out with an area shop that turned the repair around in two days, at a reasonable price, and pressure tested. Ran strong throughout the 2022 season, may outlast the boat, and probably saved myself at least $1000 over having a yard do it (if you can find one).
    Attached Files
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Reminds me I have an extra one about that I am trying to find a place to fix a split in it. No luck so far...
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X