• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ILikeRust
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Covering the hole

I've mostly made a new engine box forward bulkhead - still have some more work to do.

But I'm planning on making the hole in the middle for the crank, and since I'll almost never have to actually use the hole, I figured I would cover it with a bed bolt hole cover.

If you're not familiar with those, it's a very traditional item, dating back to at least the 1700's. Bed bolts are very long bolts countersunk into bedposts and run into the rails to hold bedsteads together. Because the bolts are countersunk in the bedpost, it leaves a bit round hole. To dress up the bedpost and cover the hole, they would use decorative cast "bed brasses".

For example: http://www.vandykes.com/product/bolt-hole-cover1

Here are some other styles:

I'm thinking I probably will use something like this one: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ter=bed%20bolt

The only question is whether they are large enough diameter to cover the hole. I haven't determined how big the hole needs to be, but I'm thinking a 1.5" diameter cover might not quite be enough.

The other option would be to turn a wooden button on the lathe, and leave a spigot on the tail end of the proper diameter to fit into the hole. I could either rely on a snug friction fit or even cut some threads to screw it in.

I'll think of something - just figured y'all might be interested in the notion.
    - Bill T.
    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

It might double as an inside clinometer.

Comment

• ILikeRust
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2010

Not if you snug that screw down!
      - Bill T.
      - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Rusty,
        I think I'd go with the wooden plug fitting into a hole. Rather than making it a close fit, I think I'd wrap it with some felt to hold it in place. Use one one of the bed bolt covers to dress it up if you like (cut off the tab for the screw). In addition to access for the crank, it might make for a good place to discharge a fire extinguisher if you're having a bad day.

Al

Comment

• domenic
          • Jul 2010

I like the bed bolt.

Comment

• ArtJ
            • Sep 2009

Long as the"bed bolt" is free of " bed bolt bugs"

Comment

Working...
            X