• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailorchris
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jul 2020

Palm. Coast Florida

Looking for a. Mechanic in Palm. Coast / Daytona Beach for a. Emergency repair I'm. Stuck on a. Dock I can't stay on..

I. Need help flushing and cleaning the block and manifold and checking all hoses for blockage..

Honestly my internet is very bad here I'm perfectly fine with texting or calling thank you and I hope somebody's in the area

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris Silverstein

716-449-7706
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

From the post I suspected Chris had a cooling system problem and needed to move the boat pronto. Not quite the case.
    I called Chris. The cooling system is apparently working correctly - water is coming out the exhaust and the running temp is ~150 (RWC engine).
    Engine power is "way down". He suspects a exhaust blockage - these are the hoses he is referring to.
    Advised him to start a thread and describe the problem and what he suspects is the cause.
    Chris sounds like a DIY person. At the moment he has medical problems and can't work on the boat himself.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Sailorchris
      Frequent Contributor
      • Jul 2020

Running temp is 170. Now after new Therostat install. Temp was 120 to 150 for a year..with heavy use and 3000+ miles. Don and Ken both have told me. 170.is fine..2 days ago hit 190 and stalled

I have lost rpms and speed over 2 years... Current speed. Before stalling and being towed was 3 knots I have lost 4 knots of speed in two years... Block and head have never been flushed

After talking to Ken and Don.. My next step to finding the problem is acid flush and pressure flush.. I also want to replace the hot pipe section of the exhaust and all hoses with the exhaust.

Desperate for a on site mechanic
      Last edited by Sailorchris; 05-05-2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Hi Chris.
        What is the bottom of the boat like. Has it been cleaned lately? If the boat is full of barnacles the engine is working harder to keep it moving and she won't come to hull speed. Just a thought but one that definitely needs consideration. Speed is relative and the hp required to push a dirty bottom along might mean you are running a much higher rpm.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Sailorchris
          Frequent Contributor
          • Jul 2020

Clean bottom and prop... As per don and Ken. I just want to acid flush and pressure plus the exhaust and replace the hot section of the exhaust and all hoses.. Need a local guy.. So I can safely leave the dock

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

On a chance, contact Tom Vandiver on this forum:

Last I heard he's retired in the Pensacola area but he might be able to provide a good referral for your area.

On the page I linked, click Contact Info and there should be the means to send him an email. We haven't heard from Tom in years so I don't expect he monitors the forum hence email might be best.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

FYI - Just running at 170 will not be immediately bad for the engine, FWC engines run at 170-180-190 all the time.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• Sailorchris
                Frequent Contributor
                • Jul 2020

OK so I. Left the dock. Boat was a. Little faster but still. Very under powered. Average 4.6 knot... Temp 170 to. 185 all day.. Exactly 10 hours and 10 gallon of gas she over heating. And stalled again.. Thermostat is. New and hosing is clean

What would you check next for the cause of the overheating issue

Comment

• zellerj
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2005

Since the temperature seems to fluctuate, You could have a piece of rust or a piece of broken impeller, or something stuck in the system that partially blocks some coolant flow but moves around causing the water flow rate to change. I would check at the choke points - the elbow on the manifold is a classic place to find junk. Sometimes bits of old impeller are at the T on the side plate.

I would also confirm your gauge reading with a IR temp gun.
                  Jim Zeller
                  1982 Catalina 30
                  Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Sailorchris View Post
                    Thermostat is. New and hosing is clean
                    What would you check next for the cause of the overheating issue
                    Late model engine? If so remove the thermostat and clamp the bypass. This will guide all the cooling water through the engine. I think you will be happier.
                    Also as mentioned check the water pump impeller + be sure the strainer is clear of KRAP.

ex TRUE GRIT

Edit: Hope your medical problem is resolving satisfactorily.
                    Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 05-08-2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X