X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne
    • Jun 2010

Newport 30 Exhaust

Does anyone have photo's or a diagram of a working exhaust system on a Newport 30. I've a 1977 model with an Atomic 4, (raw water cooled) and the previous owner replaced the original system with someting that resembles an agitated octopus.
    Leaks and safty concerns aside, the system worked at idle, however under load the exhaust water turned to steam and the engine overheated. After cooling down, it would start and idle forever with no problems. (good stream at the transom, 140 to 160 degrees).
    The Vestus muffler is burned and there is no anti-siphon loop. Most of the system is below the water line.
    I'd like to replace everything from the manifold to the transom port but would like a proper installation.
    Thank you very much
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Hi Wayne
    I don't have a Newport but there are lots of folks on here that may be able to help you out. A good idea would be to take some pictures and upload them so that folks can see what you are up against.

I did my hot exhaust this past summer...only took me a few hours. The engine overheating likely is not exhaust related if she is spewing out water well.. Try a compression test on the cylinders and see if there is any difference between each.

When you pull the plugs to check your compression look for one or two that look really clean compared to the others. This could indicate a head gasket failure.

Do you have an MMI A-4 manual..that would help you quite a bit with the troubleshooting.

Best Regards
    Mo
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Wayne,

Suggest you read this thread here. The first 25 or 30 posts should be of help. Post back if you need more info.
      Last edited by ndutton; 09-16-2018, 12:48 PM. Reason: repaired link
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
      X