X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SEMIJim
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Rich Chandonnait View Post
    I usually change my oil and filter, but the problem is when I insert the tube in the dipstick holder [I] seem to get more air out than oil is there an easier way to do it ...
    Look for Product No. - KTAS_05_90 on this page. I have mine led out to just behind the companionway steps that come off for engine space access. Works like a champ .

Suggestion: In the future, Rich, please start a new thread, rather than tacking your question(s) onto an existing thread about a different issue.

Jim

Comment

• Kurt
      • Jun 2007

Rich - sounds like you might have separate issues. As far as the exhaust leak, do you mean visible blow by smoke in the cabin or actual exhaust that would cause elevated carbon monoxide readings on detectors. I had the latter problem lately and it turned out to be a failed exhaust flange gasket. These don't last forever and are easy to replace.

Comment

• kwalters
        • Sep 2008

vented oil filler cap

I have noticed that most of my fumes come out the oil filler cap. In conjunction with the PCV kit should I do anything to the vented cap like maybe switch to a non vented cap? What about doing this without the PCV kit? Would this help force it out the tube running to the spark arrester?
        Ken
        Ken
        C&C 33-1 '75

Comment

• kwalters
          • Sep 2008

MMO fixed the cabin fume problem

Fume problem gone after winter soak in MMO. During layup last December I squirted about a 1/4 cup of MMO in each spark plug hole. This spring, no more cabin fumes when running the engine. Must have had gunked up rings to the point that blow by was taking place.
          Ken
          Ken
          C&C 33-1 '75

Comment

• charles@pricefarrington.c
            • Aug 2008

PVC Kit

I recently purchased the indigo PVC kit. Tom there recommends relocating the scavange tube to the carb throat and it looks as though the MMI kit does the same. What is the benefit of relocating the tube? Just curious. Tom indicates it spreads any fuel evenly through the engine.

I'll probably set it up the recommended way but any comments are appreciated.
            74' Ranger 29

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Fumes

Hi guys, here's my two cents. I bought my boat twentyfive years ago and the blow-by was accumilating in the cabin. I went to the autoparts store and bought a cap that was vented. I ran the vent line from the cap into the blower vent line and all was well ( although not completely fixed )for a long time. I since installed an Indigo PCV kit with "hose clamps" and haven't looked back since. I also left the vent line hooked up.. The PCV kit absolutely eliminated the fumes and also does a lot to keep the inside of the engine cleaner by extracting and reburning the stinky gasses. The cabin now smells of beer and cookies!

Note~~~A good reason to keep the blower running whenever the engine is!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• rigspelt
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                A good reason to keep the blower running whenever the engine is!
                Beer and cookies? I guess so ... rum and cookies is OK though, wha'?
                1974 C&C 27

Comment

• keelcooler
                  • Oct 2008

PVC Replacement Parts

Indigo list for acceptable PVC valve replacements are:

NAPA-Echlin CRB29229 or Mileage Plus Fuel-MPF39229

Purolator-PV789,Robertshaw-PV191,Fram-FV191
                  ACDelco-CV789C,Motorcraft-EV-90

Replace every 200 hours.

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2006

I, too, have a vented oil cap on my A4. It has a short hose on it, that sits on top of the flame arrestor/air intake on the carb, right next to the short hose coming from the side of the crankcase. I always assumed this was a standard setup, but have since learned that many (most?) A4 oil caps do not have this.

When I replaced my engine with a Moyer rebuilt A4 three years ago, the mechanic commented that the oil cap looked like a "neat" idea - so when he swapped out the old engine and installed the new one, he kept my original vented oil cap for me on the new one.

I've never had a fume or blowby problem in my cabin or engine compartment with either engine. I do, typically, run my bilge blower whenever the engine is running. This is probably of more benefit than the vented oil cap.

Comment

• keelstep
                      • Mar 2005

Cabin Fumes

I installed an expandable rubber plug in the oil tube about 20 years ago. With that and the PVC kit I have not had any concerns.
                      I later rebuilt the motor and continued to use the plug.

I was motivated to do this after testing for carbon monoxide near the tube. I could not get a reading since it was way above the scale used to measure air in working places.

Don

Comment

• sailcnc
                        Frequent Contributor
                        • Aug 2008

PCV KIt

I recently installed the kit on my 1979 Atomic 4 in my C&C 30. I installed the spacer plate and the PCV hose. The kit alos came with new fuel fittings and a black rubber fuel hose. I dod not install this as I have a copper hose between my fuel pump and carb. This still fit . Should I have installed the new fittings and hose to increase fuel draw or will the fuel system work still with the larger spacer plate in there?

Thanls

Joe
                        Joseph Bognar
                        1979 C&C 30 Mk1

Comment

• dvd
                          • Dec 2008

The PCV Kit (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) creates just what it says. It is sucking the blow by through the intake. I think you need to have a vented oil cap to let the pvc kit do its job. I have the indigo pcv kit and a vented oil cap and no more blow by smell.

dvd

Comment

• sailcnc
                            Frequent Contributor
                            • Aug 2008

PCV Kit

My kit did not come with a new oil cap. It vents directly in to the side case where the original hose was and directly in to the carb.

Joe
                            Joseph Bognar
                            1979 C&C 30 Mk1

Comment

• domenic
                              • Jul 2010

This is not to say I know what the problem is guys.
                              When I got Geronimo, she smelled. I could smell mussed, and engine fumes.
                              I think the dirty mussed smell was was from being shut up, and stuff left to rust, and rot in lockers. About six months after I got her is I found the gas leak around the bottom of my FG fuel tank, which was under the starboard quarter berth.

I aired her out about three times a week. (all hatches open.) Removed all the roted, and rusted stuff. Changed my tank, and relocated it under the cockpit seat at the transom.

I have no smells. The little bulkhead between the cabin, and engine compartment I have had off for several months due to work on the engine.

I run the engine every 2-3 days for 30 minutes. I still have no smells inside the boat.

My oil cap fits tight. No smell from there.

During the summer I took the covers off all the beding, seats, dried and aired them on deck...no smell there. I cleaned the FG liner top to bottom with oxiclean.
                              My boat smells like a pretty women should.
                              The only part I can not clean keel under the liner. God only knows what is under there.

Comment

• joe_db
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

My "new" engine has no blowby at all I can detect in the cabin. I am running the Indigo PCV kit. Keep in mind there is no front seal. If there is sufficient blowby it will be coming out there perhaps and definitely through the oil cap. Running a hose from the oil fill to a blower might do the trick
                                Joe Della Barba
                                Coquina
                                C&C 35 MK I
                                Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                                X