• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edminor
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jul 2021

Wrench size for 1/2" temperature sensor

Does anyone know the wrench size required to remove the 1/2" water temperature sending unit? Have searched to forum, but have not been able to find it. Thanks in advance.
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I can't recall offhand, but I do remember buying in impact socket to get it out. The standard socket was going to round it off.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

DO NOT GO AFTER THE SENDING UNIT WITH A OPEN END WRENCH. It will round the soft brass. I used a long closed end wrench and a hammer and the sending unit loosened fairly easily. Start the engine and let it warm up to operating temperature then, while the engine is running, try to loosen the sending unit. The heat + vibration will help it loosen.
      I don't remember the wrench size. You can span the sending unit with a open end adjustable wrench then measure the jaw opening to get a rough idea of the proper wrench size.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• jcwright
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2012

My temp sending unit (stamped ‘8D17’) pairs with an Isspro gauge. I believe it is the 1/2” npt version. It takes a 7/8” wrench.

Comment

• edminor
          Frequent Contributor
          • Jul 2021

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Leaving tomorrow to work on the boat, and needed to know which wrenches to pack. I have a deep 7/8” six-point socket and a strong bar, will be sure to include them

Comment

Working...
          X