Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Exhaust System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 24.22.118.150
Old 12-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Exhaust Riser Question

Hey everyone-

I've started to address the exhaust system on my raw-water cooled Atomic 4 in my 1972 Ericson 27. It looks like its been poorly cobbled together, with a very loose attachment to the manifold (at least it came off easily!) and no support or anchors anywhere. The exhaust exits the manifold and almost immediately enters an aluminum exhaust riser, where the cooling water is injected. It then leads aft to an old plastic water lift muffler, and then up a long length of hose to the top of the port lazarette locker and out the stern. See the attached photos.

I've been wondering if the aluminum exhaust riser/elbow (Barr Mfg model 20-0101/20-0094) has been installed backwards- it appears that the cooling water enters on the wrong side of the riser and higher than the manifold! In all the exhaust diagrams I have seen, cooling water is supposed to be injected on the downstream end below the level of the exhaust manifold, but then I have never seen this type of exhaust riser used either. Is using this type of riser even a valid installation method for a gas engine? Has anyone seen a similar setup?

If anyone has any advice on this current system or what I should do for a new system, or photos and/or descriptions of their currently functioning systems I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Doug
Attached Images