Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 166.137.88.153
Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Carb and/or Fuel Pump Problem

I bought a '73 Tartan 30 with an A4 last September and joined the forum soon thereafter. I've been very impressed by the knowledge and enthusiasm - makes me happy to have an A4 even though I have to swear to every fuel dock attendant that my sail boat runs on gasoline. Today I had my first breakdown. The engine was running fine in the marina and just shutdown. I tied up and my first thought was that I was out of gas. I had spark so I added gas and the motor started up after about 20 seconds of cranking. I motored to the fuel dock - noticed a little hesitation while running, but turned it off and fueled up. It only took a couple of gallons so I knew I had not run it dry. I tried cranking it and no luck. I noticed a gas smell in the engine compartment and checked the mechanical fuel pump - there is gas dripping from the bottom of the pump. My thought is a clogged carburetor, but I'm afraid there may be a fuel pump issue, too. Will the fuel pump leak if the carb is clogged? How should I proceed? Thanks. John - "No Hurry, No Worry"
  #2   IP: 96.229.195.76
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Lightbulb Pump!

jfo99, no the carb would not cause the pump to leak. Sounds like it is time to check the fuel filter on the pump for integrity however unless you recently messed with it I'll bet on the pump needing a rebuild. I personally prefer the mechanical pump so it may be decission time between electric and mechanical for a new pump, your call there.

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 96.229.195.76
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Red face Oops

jfo99, sorry just noticed this to be your first post so welcome to the Afourian forum.

Dave Neptune
  #4   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Afourian MVP

Cool

John,

I agree with Dave..I'd yank the pump and rebuild it. I think the bail that holds the sediment bowl gets loose over time and then the sediment bowl (with the screen filter inside) can leak..which is maybe what you are seeing. If the bowl is not seated straight (or got bumped when loose), it will leak too.

I favor the mech. pump over the electric one too..less hassle, less electrics to deal with, etc. A rebuild kit for the fuel pump is an easy Saturday morning cup of coffee job, & is about $60 here at Moyer's store.

Some other tips while you are in this area of the motor...get the polishing filter kit that goes inbetween the pump & the carb ($23) - my boat had only the screen inside the sediment bowl as the 'filter', and I am surprised the motor even ran based on what I found inside the bowl. - but I guess that means the screen was doing its job.

Also, if you decide to rebuild the pump, take the two mounting bolts to your local hardware store and replace them with allen head bolts..it is much easier to install those with an allen wrench than trying to get a socket/extension assembly around the body of the fuel pump. Getting it off isn't too bad, but re-installing the regular bolts will drive you nuts...
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 07-23-2012 at 09:10 AM.
  #5   IP: 69.126.13.25
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 AM

fuel pump

Shawn and Dave: Your comments line up with what I saw around the fuel pump and sediment bowl yesterday. I'll rebuild the pump, install the polishing filter and see what happens. Thanks for the help. John

Tags
carburetor, fuel pump, won't start