X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Close Reach
    • Feb 2009

Replace the whole water pump?

Sometime over the winter, the brass fitting that threads into my water pump failed (engine has Moyer FW system and was rebuilt by Moyer ~ 5 years ago). Obviously the corrosion has been going on for a long time and there are some remnants inside the pump housing itself, and some evidence of leakage/corrosion in the area. I guess it's fortunate it didn't let go while I was underway.

Should I consider replacing the entire water pump while I'm back there, or just clean everything up, new fitting, new impellor and off I go?
    1975 C&C 33
    A4 with FWC
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

?

Close, if the threads in the offending hole are not comprimised rebuilding the pump is a deffinate option. If the budget is good I would go ahead and pick up a new pump, then you can be sure for a while.

Did the pump leak anywhere else?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Mr. Close Reach
      • Feb 2009

You can see some evidence of leakage directly under the pump and I'm a little concerned about the bolt that secures the pump mount to the flywheel housing. Hopefully some T9 would free that up.
      1975 C&C 33
      A4 with FWC

Comment

• CalebD
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Something else to consider is the new Moyer water pump: Product No. - CSOB_00_365 - MMI 502 flange pump, which eliminates the grease cap used on the old Oberdorfer models. It will set you back nearly $300 though. Your current pump should be repairable though.
        Full disclosure: I mention this as it is on my 'nice to have' future projects list. Until then I will live with the grease cap on the Oberdorfer model.
        Last edited by CalebD; 05-11-2010, 04:21 PM. Reason: edit
        Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
        A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• Mr. Close Reach
          • Feb 2009

getting the belt back on...

So I removed the pedastol pump, replace the impeller and the failed fitting...now I have the everything back in place but I can't get the belt back on!

The pump is rotated down as far as I can get it but I can't quite stretch the belt enough to get it around the pulleys. Any suggestions? The only thing I came up with was putting the belt in the sun so that it loosened up a bit and was easier to stretch....
          1975 C&C 33
          A4 with FWC

Comment

• Marian Claire
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2007

I am not familiar with the pedestal pump. Can you loosen the bolts/screws that hold the pump mount, then place the belt and then retighten the mount? Dan S/V Marian Claire
            Edit: How did you remove the pump? Can you reverse the process? Excuse my ignorance just trying to learn about these pumps. Got any pics?
            Last edited by Marian Claire; 05-17-2010, 04:52 PM. Reason: more ?s

Comment

Working...
            X