Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 71.55.211.131
Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

new guy

just got a 72 ranger 29. love the boat, sailed on her over 20 years ago, but am new to atomic 4 engine. i think that it is a mix of late and early models because the oil fill is on the front but the line from the raw water pump goes to an elbow to the water plate and not to the thermostat on the forward starboard side of the engine. if anyone has any info to offer i would appreciate it.
should i put in a 't' and run a line to the thermostat? it has a plug in it now. or should i not fix what seems to have been working for a long time. thanks
  #2   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Is the engine raw water or fresh water cooled? Has the thermostat been removed? What is your normal operating temperature?

You can't simply replace the sideplate elbow with a Tee. There's a diverter cap on the inside that's sure to fall off when you unscrew the existing elbow. Even if it stays on, there are holes in it that direct the coolant to specific areas inside the water jacket so if the cap rotates you'll lose the directional accuracy. To do it right you'll have to remove the sideplate which almost always involves broken sideplate bolts. There are several threads on the forum discussing it and how to improve the sideplate assembly so removal is never again a problem.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #3   IP: 151.200.19.11
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Afourian MVP

lastdog..welcome...we need some pics. We'll get you straight!

It sounds to me like someone has modified the line between the pump & the t-stat. Similar to the by-pass valve that Moyer offers, it forces more water thru the sideplate and up thru the t-stat rather than over the top. In a raw water cooled motor, this can cause issues with the raw water feed to the exhaust to cool it while the t-stat is closed if it is completely cut off.

Neil's asked the right questions too..I am just following up.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 02-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.
  #4   IP: 71.55.211.131
Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

thanks for the reply guys

It is raw water cooled. As per the thermostat, will have to check it out, will have to open it up and see. The water lines and elbow look to have been in place for quite a while. If it has been modified its been running this way for some time. While running, the gauge has never read any thing, while i have had it. Only ran it for about an hour from one dock to another but jumps to 150 when i shut it down and stays there. I think that is another problem.
Will take a couple shots on Wednesday and try to learn how to post them. Old Oberdorfer water pump was leaking from bottom drain hole so i have just put a new one on and am rebuilding the old one. That is when i noticed the elbow and plugged thermostat housing. So far I think I am going to like this motor. It is easier to work on than the Yanmars i have had in the past.
again thanks for the input
  #5   IP: 71.55.211.131
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

here are some pics

took of the thermostat housing and no t-stat.
Attached Images

#6   IP: 141.0.9.76
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM

Welcome LD

Congrats on the boat purchase. Ranger is a great boat and the A4 is a good engine.
It's hard to tell from your photograph of the inside of the T-stat housing but you should check yours against the interior of a new housing. If there's severe interior corrosion it could/will effect the operation of the T-stat (if you had one). Any idea when the last time the engine was flushed?
  #7   IP: 71.55.211.131
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

The inside of the top of the housing is not bad at all. Should be an easy clean up. From what little i could see and feel seems to be pretty clean on the motor passages as well. I like good surprises.
Some sings of carbon though. Have no idea how long or if ever flushed, but has lots of water coming of the exhaust.

Tags
cooling system, introduction