Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Overhaul

#1   IP: 69.250.109.188
Old 02-21-2021, 06:41 PM

Fixing my off-center fastener drilling

Hey folks, today I separated the block and oil pan on my salvage re-build. Unfortunately, two of the oil pan bolts sheared off and I did a terrible job of drilling them out. It was good enough to separate the block and pan, but off-center enough that the original holes are not usable. I'm figuring that I can just have a machine shop fix this along with whatever overhaul machining I need. What would the normal approach be? Fill with a weld and re-drill? Drill a bigger hole and thread it, even if off center from the original? And by the way, any reason I can't use a nut and bolt there instead of a threaded hole?

Thanks for any advice...
  #2   IP: 155.186.122.195
Old 02-22-2021, 10:22 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
A couple of pics would be a big help. The pics will get experienced ideas to flow.

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 69.250.109.188
Old 02-22-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
A couple of pics would be a big help. The pics will get experienced ideas to flow.

Dave Neptune
OK, a couple pics below.

In summary, I had to drill out two of my block/pan fasteners. The resulting holes are 1) not round, 2) not contained within the original holes, 3) not exactly in line with all the other holes. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a fix that will "work", but I'm looking for the "best practice" for a situation like this (not including "Don't mess up the drilling in the first place.")

The top picture is the oil pan, and the two holes on the right are the ones in question. In the bottom picture, you can see the remains of the drilled bolts on the block, which I assume I'll be able to knock out with a pick and mallet.