Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 199.87.176.85
Old 09-26-2021, 04:24 PM
Afourian MVP

solenoid smells burnt and starter has broken windings

So after my reversing gear issues, where a bunch of noise was heard coming from the engine after I had a hard time getting it into reverse, I went to the boat to sort out the issues and I have not found anything wrong with the reversing gear.

I then attempted to start the engine and nothing - no clicks or anything. So I got out my volt meter and the switch seems to work - 11.8 volts on the correct terminal when I moved the key to start. I then tried to start the engine by jumping the solenoid, and nothing except a spark.

I removed the alternator and starter and took the starter home. I removed the solenoid and it smelled like a house fire - burnt. The washer inside did not appear to be too dirty, so I shined it up and reinstalled. Took the end plate off the starter motor and the brushes were good. The armature looked good too.

I then tested the starter/solenoid using jumper cables and my car battery. Nothing - just some sparks when I jumped from the big + terminal to the S post.

So I took the starter motor apart and was surprised to find about 6 heavy winding wires were disconnected and bent away from where they connect, and the inside of the motor casing showed evidence of where these wires rubbed against some insulation.

Does any one know what would have caused this? I think this was the source of my noise. Did the starter not disengage? I am a touch hard of hearing and the wind was quite noisy that day, so perhaps I did not hear my starter continue to run.

So I think I need a new starter/solenoid. I know MM sells them, but I am wondering if a smaller, lighter reduction gear type starter has been used on an atomic 4. I am thinking I want to go that way than to install a heavy reman one.
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 09-26-2021, 09:06 PM
Afourian MVP

Suspect it was a matter of the starter failing to engage the flywheel due to a stuck drive gear not sliding and engaging the flywheel.
I don't know of anyone installing a reduction gear starter on an Atomic 4. You could be the first!
An auto electric shop should be able to look at your starter and tell you why it failed. They could also advise you on the repair/replace alternatives. We've got some good shops in our area, suspect you do to.
My theory is all this electrical stuff works on smoke. When the smoke gets out, they stop working.
edit: Recently lost the smoke from my drill press motor. Took the motor to the shop and they installed fresh smoke (or something). Works fine now.

Last edited by Al Schober; 09-26-2021 at 09:08 PM.