X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rshearley
    • Aug 2006

Ethanol Free alternatives? 100LL/Avgas?

There has been some discussion on our Tartan 27 group about switching to 100LL/Avgas, especially now with the proposal of an E-15 Mogas formulation.
    I seem to remember that there used to be a formulation of Avgas without TEL.
    Does anyone run 100LL or the TEL free equivalent and if so have you found any problems, IE plug fouling or cooler running temp. Did you switch plugs or change thermostats or is the temp reduction created by running higher octane insignificant? Does 100LL cause rough idling and would the carb. need re-jetting or adjusting?
    I ran regular gas last season with MMO and ethanol treatment and the engine did run okay but I noticed at the end of the season that the rubber gasket on the sediment bowl had swollen to the point I could not re-use it. I drained the racor filter as well as replacing the element several times during the season and each time found both evidence of moisture as well as a fair amount of crud. I also have an in-line filter after the fuel pump and that seemed to have some kind of sludge build up in it... I also found evidence of build up in the sediment bowl during mid-season inspection. I really feel that using E-10 and especially higher blends in marine fuel is not appropriate...
    Thanks for all the great insight!
    Rich Shearley
    Last edited by rshearley; 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM.
  • sailhog
    • Apr 2009

My understanding of 100LL is that the higher octane makes it late to spark. I'd guess that a lower octane, ethanol free gas would be better -- and less expensive. Our marina sells it for $3.80/gal. Av gas is probably a good bit more expensive.

Comment

• CalebD
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Ethanol

I came across this company Valvtect somewhere: http://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelGasoline.asp
      After reading the text on this page I could not find anywhere that stated their gasoline was 'ethanol free' but rather 'specially formulated'. The picture of the gasoline showing phase separation sure looks like the gas I drained out of my tank a few weeks ago.
      Does anyone know anything about this company's products? It sounds too good to be true (and probably is) but is supposedly available at a marina near me.
      Sailhog,
      Would you care to share which marina you use that sells ethanol free regular gas?
      Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
      A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• sailhog
        • Apr 2009

Caleb,
        It's Marina Village Marina in Freeport, Florida. The ethanol-free fuel sales are advertised here:

It's my understanding that all U.S. marina fuel depots can sell ethanol-free gasoline.

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I filled my tank with avgas for the fall. It sits for the winter MUCH better than car gas. I got the impression it was a little harder to start in cold weather. Avgas has a lower vapor pressure than car gas, which could be the reason.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• domenic
            • Jul 2010

I don't know about other states, but here in Calif, airports can't sell to anyone who don't have an aircraft.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

There's a gas station in Pacific Beach (San Diego) on Ingraham Street that sells 100 octane racing gas - at like $8/gallon - or more. Don't know for certain but I don't believe it's blended.

Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Our pump is self-service

Originally posted by domenic View Post
                I don't know about other states, but here in Calif, airports can't sell to anyone who don't have an aircraft.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                  There's a gas station in Pacific Beach (San Diego) on Ingraham Street that sells 100 octane racing gas - at like $8/gallon - or more.
                  Wow, that's my old stomping grounds! (Great years those )
                  We're lucky here, there are still a lot of stations not selling the E10 AND they advertise it on their price billboards.
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Jerry, does the addition of ethanol lower the boiling point of gasoline? Maybe that's why non-blended fuel is available in your area.

Couldn't resist
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Nice! Good shot.
                      We'll know in another couple of months...
                      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                      sigpic
                      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sailhog
                        • Apr 2009

Let's all boycott the Iowa sailing/cruising industry! No more sailing vacations in Iowa until they get rid of ethanol! I've had it with those pasty-face farmers!

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

Sailhog, If it was any good at all I'd be drinking it!!!
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                          The optimist expects it to change.
                          The realist adjusts the sails.
                          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Laker
                            • Sep 2010

Speaking of boycotts , a state labor union here in peaceful Wisconsin called for a boycott of a chain of gas stations which happens to be one of the very few retail sources of ethanol free gas in this area. I have switched all of my fuel purchases to that retailer.

2 birds w/ 1 stone.

Now to pump out my Col. 34 fuel tank and re-fill with the good stuff ...
                            1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• sailhog
                              • Apr 2009

This is a little off topic....

During some recent trouble-shooting with my engine, I tested my fuel pump to make sure it was running. Since I didn't have a GLASS jar on hand, I collected the fuel (an ethanol blend) in one of the on-board plastic cups. The pump worked, and the fuel set there for an hour or so. At the end of the day, I drained the fuel into my car's tank. After doing so, I noticed that something was wrong with the cup itself. The fuel had eaten up the plastic and turned the surface that it touched into this incredibly sticky film.... the car is still running, but....

Somebody needs to have a long talk with those knuckleheaded farmers....

Comment

Working...
                              X