Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 24.18.16.167
Old 07-10-2009, 02:03 PM

early model reverse gear removal

Hello, I'm trying to put my V-drive from my late model into a early model Atomic four. I understand that I have to change the reverse gear housing as well, since the size differences of the flanges that connect the two. I can't get the reverse gear housing to separate from the block on the early model engine, had no problems getting it off my late model. What else besides the sixteen bolts do I have to take off the early model to get it to release itself from the block. My early model was used as a direct drive with a reduction gear aft of the reverse gear which I have removed. Does the bolt holding on the gear at the end need to be pulled? regards Sun
  #2   IP: 38.102.24.128
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM

After removing the 16 bolts you mentioned, the aft housing should break free just as it did on your late modle engine. My guess is that the gaskets were sealed on both sides and you'll simply have to coax the housing a bit more. Remember that you have to get the housing to move aft enough to clear the tapered alignment pins before it will move upward.

Don
  #3   IP: 24.18.16.167
Old 07-12-2009, 06:18 PM

early model reverse gear flange

The early model flange aft of the reverese gear housing has five allen head bolts, three of which hold the pan to the flange, the other two hold the housing to the flange, I took the three bottom one out and sure enough the housing is no longer attached to anything and it came out easily. I apologize for asking why it wouldn't come out, but since I have only worked on late model A-4s that problem has never come up before, hope this helps anyone trying to use late and early model reverse gear parts together, and don't realize like me, that besides the 16 bolts, three of the allen bolts must also be removed before separation will happen. Cheers and regards Sun