Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Ignition System

#1   IP: 73.131.8.206
Old 05-22-2021, 12:29 AM

Need help - no spark

Hello all - new to the forum and looking for some help diagnosing why there's no spark when I try to crank my A4. All that happens when I go to start the engine is clicking, which I know is a sign of low batteries or a loose connection somewhere. I'm going tomorrow to put a voltmeter on the battery to see what the reading is. I'm also going to try to hand crank it to in hopes that running the engine will charge the batteries (which are less than a year old from Costco - deep marine cycle batteries). I've got nothing running but the bilge and it may have been just a little over a month since I last had her started - I let her run for over 20 mins anytime I crank her. I've been told to "pull the starter off and attach a set of jumper cables and see if the gear moves forward when it spins. Look at the teeth on the flywheel when the starter is out." I've been told to clean the contact points to make sure there's no corrosion.

I'm not that mechanically inclined and just looking for some help. Just looking for a place to start and dig in. I do have the A4 manual and the ignition timing socket (In hopes to hand crank the motor - my boat doesn't have room enough for the factory hand crank)
Attached Images

Last edited by drftingfromshor; 05-22-2021 at 12:31 AM.
  #2   IP: 67.169.215.221
Old 05-22-2021, 01:03 AM
Afourian MVP

DFR--

Welcome to the forum, likely the most helpful and supportive forum on the web.

Ok, you motor won't start and when you try and start it you get a loud clicking noise, correct?

Also, with the access of your engine in the boat being offset to port and little clearance, even with modifications you will be unlikely to be able to spin the hand crank well enough to start the motor without risk of injury.

So do you have have a battery charger? Ideally you would have a volt meter also, so we could determine the voltage of the battery. However, a battery charger is a good first start for a "solution" to just get the battery light to 'green'.

Last edited by ronstory; 05-22-2021 at 01:07 AM. Reason: grammar
  #3   IP: 47.142.130.107
Old 05-22-2021, 10:12 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftingfromshor View Post
. All that happens when I go to start the engine is clicking, which I know is a sign of low batteries or a loose connection somewhere.
+ 1 on being sure the battery is fully charged.
Also be sure all the connections of all the big wires battery -> engine (starter) are bright and shiny on both the hot (red) and ground (black) circuts.
Corroded connections can mimic low charged battery.
Welcome aboard the forum.

ex TRUE GRIT
  #4   IP: 155.186.122.195
Old 05-22-2021, 10:22 AM

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
driftingfromshor, first welcome the the MMI Afoiurian Forum.

The click is indicative of the "solenoid" TRYING to engage due to a couple of possibilities. First is low voltage at the batteries, second a weak connection usually a ground causing low voltage at the "solenoid" not allowing enough energy to close the contacts for the starter itself. Could be a bad starter but you will need to confirm voltage drops first. If the voltage stays good while trying to engage time to have the starter looked at, I suggest a professional rebuilder for that.

You have a click when turning the key that is most likely the solenoid trying, if you also hear a more robust clunk that would be the gears (Bendix unit) engaging but not enough power to spin the engine.

Something I and many others will suggest for you ESPECIALLY due to your confinement issues is a "Remote Start Switch" and hook it up permanently as it is handy for lots of diagnostic procedures. They're cheap and easy to hook up and eliminate the need for another body to work the key.

Check the battery terminals and anywhere those terminals hook up too. Be especially concerned with the Negative (ground ) paths.

Your batteries since they are new should not be so depleted in just a month sitting unless there was something drawing current somewhere.

Hopefully it is just a low battery but why?

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
Sam (05-23-2021)
  #5   IP: 155.186.122.195
Old 05-22-2021, 11:10 AM

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Pt II

Paying a bit more attention to your post I read "no spark" in the title. Did you check for spark too? To most mechanics "no spark" means no spark at the spark plug, is this something you checked for?

While trouble shooting turn off the water valve so you don't fill the exhaust while diagnosing.

Also be sure you turn off the key as leaving it on can draw down your batteries while "frying" your coil, a not to uncommon mistake.

Dave Neptune
  #6   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 05-22-2021, 11:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Occam's Razor - the most likely explanation is low batteries.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (05-22-2021)