X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

Thank you Jack and Tenders

I was embarrassed to ask the question but am glad I did!
    Thank you for the clarification now I can somewhat interpret the wobble prior
    to climbing the mast

The reason I was alarmed is that the person climbing said the port spreader
    was somewhat vertically looser than the starboard

One thing that concerns me is that with the sails removed both port and starboard spreaders now sit horizontally - which means they do not now conform to the ideal 12 degree angle which bisects the above and below spreader angles of the upper shroud.
    They appear to be allowed to sit horizontally or up 12 degrees up.
    So how can they be made to stay in ideal position?? By tape on spreader tip or is the mast beefy enough to not worry about the angle ?

(My Rigger is me - but I need my own eyes on it)

Art
    Last edited by ArtJ; 03-25-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• jcwright
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2012

The fact that one spreader shows more vertical play than the other would make me curious too. But, fwiw, both of my spreaders have always had some vertical play, ie, when the mast is unstepped. If the person who climbed your mast checked one spreader when under tension and the other when not (or under less) one spreader could appear to have more play than the other.

All I've done on our T34c is mark the uppers so the spreaders are similarly aligned when I re-rig every year. Once the uppers are seized in place, everything stays aligned over the season.

Good luck with your spreader work.

Jack

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I find that my upper spreaders find their positions on the shroud pretty well on their own if they're sensibly placed when the spreader boots are being taped/seized on with the mast on deck. I suppose you could rig a piece of wood or something held on either end by the main and genoa halyards, with a retrieval/tensioning line held on deck, to bump yours up if you found them egregiously horizontal once the mast is in place.

The lower spreaders sometimes have to be nudged a bit with a boathook to get them into place before the shrouds are completely tightened. It isn't precision work, that's for sure.

Comment

• ArtJ
          • Sep 2009

Thanks

I definitely be up the mast soon to check everything out

Comment

• jcwright
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2012

@Tenders--

I missed your 10:24 am post about spreader 'play' before posting my own answer to one of Art's questions. I hadn't considered the possibility that the play is a designed feature rather than a result of wear. Interesting.

jack.

Comment

Working...
            X