Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Electrical

#26   IP: 69.250.111.245
Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

Jack, By the way...I see some standing water in the stbd settee in those pics. If you angle it correctly, you can drill a limber hole in the bottom of the stbd settee that will drain into the bilge underneath the cabin sole. The hull is 1" thick so you unlikely to drill thru that, and you are only drilling thru the settee fiberglass without drilling too shallow to come thru the cabin floor nor going to deep to drill into the hull.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #27   IP: 47.18.111.244
Old 03-13-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
Jack, By the way...I see some standing water in the stbd settee in those pics. If you angle it correctly, you can drill a limber hole in the bottom of the stbd settee that will drain into the bilge underneath the cabin sole. The hull is 1" thick so you unlikely to drill thru that, and you are only drilling thru the settee fiberglass without drilling too shallow to come thru the cabin floor nor going to deep to drill into the hull.
Ha! Nice catch. That standing water is a mistery to me. I had leaks on that side before because of the leaking windows on starboard side. I fixed those last fall. In addition the boat is under tarp now. And still it came from somewhere. I see a straight streak along the hull coming from the top, so that will be the first place to investigate. Good thing this is all the accumulation over 4 months. Will let you know what I find. I will consider drilling if everything else fails. It feels like its solid hull fiberglass there with no cavity under it.
  #28   IP: 47.18.111.244
Old 05-08-2021, 08:45 PM

I'd like to share the final result of this project. I ended up putting two G27 lead acid batteries under the navigation table. I removed two shelves to do this. The opening at the bottom inside Nav table is almost perfect size to accommodate two G27 batteries in port to starboard orientation.

I previously made a support for the battery shelf that I planned to use in the original location. While no longer necessary I used it for some extra support in the middle. Here it is shown attached to the battery shelf. The shelf itself was made from 3/4" plywood and painted with TotalBoat bilge paint.
Name:  batt_1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  53.3 KB
I cut the ledge from a piece of marine wood that matched the angle of the hull. It was epoxied to the hull and then glassed over.
Name:  batt_2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  86.1 KB
I cut two wood blocks and bolted them to the wall under the front of Navigation table as shown below:
Name:  batt_3.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  61.1 KB
This is similar to Shawn's installation that I linked in one of my earlier posts. Then I placed the battery shelf over and screwed it in, so it can be removed if needed (see pic in the next post). To be continued...
  #29   IP: 47.18.111.244
Old 05-08-2021, 08:55 PM

The following picture shows battery shelf inside navigation table secured with screws.
Name:  batt_4.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  100.2 KB
Next picture shows batteries in place. I placed a piece of wood between the batteries to prevent batteries from moving. All electrical components were placed on the right side of the batteries. Negative bus is located behind batteries.
Name:  batt_5.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  96.2 KB
And here is a picture of electrical components. Currently it is configured as a single bank, but it can be easily modified to add an extra reserve battery or use on the batteries as 'starter' one and another as 'house' battery. Power switch inside navigation table is a battery disconnect. If I add another bank I will put another battery disconnect switch on the left side. My 1-2 main batter switch is visible on the left side (4 large terminals with one unused). It is accessible from outside navigation table.
Name:  batt_6.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  119.9 KB
To be continued....
  #30   IP: 47.18.111.244
Old 05-08-2021, 08:57 PM

So, here is a final picture showing batteries with covers on and secured straps. I placed u-bolts on the battery sides to be used for the straps.
Name:  batt_7.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  97.9 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to Wisakedjack For This Useful Post:
Surcouf (05-09-2021)